Cold Heat Soldering Iron

Discuss tool-related stuff including soldering irons/technique, multimeters, etc.
PegCityRetroGamer

Cold Heat Soldering Iron

Post by PegCityRetroGamer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Has anyone tried the Cold Heat Soldering Iron? I was considering buying one as I have burned myself a few times and am in need of a new soldering iron to complete my GameBoy Zero project. It looks interesting. Thought it might be a good one.

PegCityRetroGamer

Re: Cold Heat Soldering Iron

Post by PegCityRetroGamer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:26 pm

cold-heat-2.jpg
cold-heat-2.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 11652 times

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:37 am

Portable soldering iron really doesn't worth it. You'd better use a real soldering station from Aliexpress, that's an investment for sure but if you go cheap you'll regret it, I went through this...
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:00 pm

The cold heat soldering iron has a split tip on it. It works by bridging that tip with the copper you are soldering to then it heats the element. Unfortunately, I think the soldering pads on the boards and most of the small gauge wire is too small to get that to work without a ton of frustration.

If you were a soldering master with years of experience you might be able to get it to work. But at that point I'm sure you would have a much better iron.

PegCityRetroGamer

Post by PegCityRetroGamer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. I will get myself a traditional soldering iron.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:40 pm

That thing sucks ass, I bought one over 15 years ago and it was awful to use and not practical for anything I tired it on and the tip burned out easily.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.