Soldering Iron handle melted

Discuss tool-related stuff including soldering irons/technique, multimeters, etc.
nickz

Soldering Iron handle melted

Post by nickz » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I bought this iron on Amazon because it has really good reviews.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K ... UTF8&psc=1
Melted Iron: https://imgur.com/a/2mERG

After a two hour session I put it down and unplugged it. When I returned to resume my work today I found it bent like this.

Is it safe to use still? Or should I just trash it and buy a better iron?

sotasystems

Re: Soldering Iron handle melted

Post by sotasystems » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 am

nickz wrote:Has this ever happened to anyone?

I bought this iron on Amazon because it has really good reviews.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K ... UTF8&psc=1
Melted Iron: https://imgur.com/a/2mERG

After a two hour session I put it down and unplugged it. When I returned to resume my work today I found it bent like this.

Is it safe to use still? Or should I just trash it and buy a better iron?
One of my first soldering irons in my teen years was a transparent acrylic one with a temperature control on it like yours. The quality was really not too good and using it was much worse, the temperature control was very inacurate, but you could solder with it sometimes somehow. :? One day I wanted to use it again, so I plugged it in and after a few minutes it went poof and it left the entire house dark. :lol:

Moral of the story: The best soldering I experience I had was with an Weller soldering station, which is not cheap but worth the price IMO. I also had a Weller pyropen piezo portable gas soldering iron which was great when you had to go around other places or just need to solder something without power, but that one is really not cheap. Unfortunately the Weller soldering station was not mine, so eventualy I had to give it back. ;) At one point I got myself a soldering station with temperature control on it from McVoice from a store called reichelt for only 20-30,- € back then just to give it a try and I use it to this very day, and I am very good with it. :) Sure it is "nothing" compared to the Weller, but I really learned to do great with it, and it also shows that a decent soldering station doesn't have to cost much money. I have never had any problem with it yet since I own it, and there are replacement tips available, also in various tip shape and sizes. I mean, this soldering station cost me like 2 or 3 of those crap acrylic soldering irons that I used to have, and it was totaly worth it. Here is what it looks like:

There is also a variant with blue backlit LCD:

I do not encourage you to buy this exact one that I have, but rather to stop using the one that melted on you, because it really is hazardous at this state. It could burn even further, maybe start a fire, maybe even while you use it, leading to exposed materials inside the soldering iron that you will be "forced" to touch if you get really unlucky and end up with a burned hand, or even worse: end up getting (lethaly) electrocuted. Most of these products are designed and made in china and happily sold worldwide. Most of them (not all of them!) do NOT have proper safety precautions taken (most of them are known for not being properly grounded, or not grounded at all), and most producers of them, excuse my word, do not give a shit about it either for some reason. I don't know about you, but I'd be really uncomfortable using a device which is partialy burned off to be honest.

I encourage you to spend a little bit more money for something that will make you say "hell yeah, that was really worth every penny spent". Also, having a decent soldering station with temperature control is a nice thing to have. ;) It makes you feel good/happy to use it. E.g. With the acrylic soldering iron I had, and wanted to do a soldering job it most of the time got me thinking "ugh, not again, it's just no fun to solder..", but then I got that proper soldering station one day with proper solder, flux, wick etc, and then I realized, boy was I wrong, and that really got me on the right track.

Just let that sink in for a bit, it is your decision what you're doing. ;)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

nickz

Post by nickz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Sota. :)

I figured it wasn't safe to use anymore, I just had a small gleam of hope that it somehow would be. Mostly because I was so excited to finally get to work on my project. :'(

I've been looking around for some higher quality irons on Amazon, and will probably go with a Weller or the Hakko as that seems to be pretty popular around these boards.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:36 pm

nickz wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Sota. :)

I figured it wasn't safe to use anymore, I just had a small gleam of hope that it somehow would be. Mostly because I was so excited to finally get to work on my project. :'(

I've been looking around for some higher quality irons on Amazon, and will probably go with a Weller or the Hakko as that seems to be pretty popular around these boards.
What temp did you have it set to? I've left my irons on for 2 days non stop!! and forgot it was on and when I got back it was still working great but the tip had to be replaced. There are many replacements available for cheap for most irons.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

nickz

Post by nickz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Helder wrote:
nickz wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Sota. :)

What temp did you have it set to? I've left my irons on for 2 days non stop!! and forgot it was on and when I got back it was still working great but the tip had to be replaced. There are many replacements available for cheap for most irons.
Hmm, 350 deg C I think.

I just got myself a Weller and it arrived yesterday. :)

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:17 pm

That was my first iron I bought. I really wasnt familliar with them and it had great reviews on amazon. But it turns out, its a REAL POS. I killed two Rpi zeros with it, and a pad on one of helder's boards. I was super steamed. The adjustable temperature isn't really adjustable. It's way too hot even on the lowest setting and starts immediately melting the plastic around the solder pad. then the plastic or whatever coating gets on the pad, and that's about the end of getting solder on it. After I got fed up, I went and got a Hakko FX-888D. I keep it at 690 degrees and it works flawlessly. No burnt boards, it doesn't oxidize the solder immediately when it touches it, etc. It feels like a godsend.

Same with the helping hand. Got a cheap one on amazon and it kept falling over, alligator clips kept falling off....rubbish. Shelled out for a quad - hands and its re-god dam amazing. I guess quality tools make all the difference in this kind of situation.
Attachments
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4420.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 14615 times

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 am

Weller's are real tough things, ours lasted over 15 years before it died, and that was one of their cheap ones!
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 am

jermzz wrote:I guess quality tools make all the difference in this kind of situation.
nail. head. hit.

The thing is with crap tools, someone who is *REALLY* skilled can make them work and work around their foibles, and even then it's just hassle. But when you're learning or a hobbyist, having decent tools can be the difference between being able to do the task or not. that's a nice setup you have now and will serve you well for a lot of modding ;) of course the flip side of that is now "NO EXCUSES" ;)

seriously, have fun :ugeek:

Alakey

Post by Alakey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:40 am

I have such problem with an old ussr solder, but it worked well at least a couple of years after it) I know that such problem is often occurs with cheap solders like those - https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/soldering-iron