Digital Multimeter

Discuss tool-related stuff including soldering irons/technique, multimeters, etc.
Spaddel

Digital Multimeter

Post by Spaddel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:57 am

Hi!
I (absolute newbie) am working on my equipment - at the moment I'm looking for a digital multimeter. My idea was to find something not too expensive with automatic range selection (to avoid accidenatlly frying it), that is capable of taking measures in the needed range with an acceptable accuracy and performing some tests.
The problem is, that I have almost no experience and thus no idea, which range is really needed. My guess would be:
- DC-Voltage in mV and V
- electric current in mA and A
- electrical resistance in mΩ and Ω
- cuntinuity testing
- diode testing
- capacity testing

Would that fit?

While researching I stumbled upon several Mulltimeters manufactured by VOLTCRAFT. Fluke, Benning and Testboy were a bit too expensive, but these seemed quite okay:
- VOLTCRAFT VC175: ~35€, 4000 count display, RMS, DC-Voltage resolution 10mV, has a non contact voltage tester on top
- VOLTCRAFT VC270: ~65€, seems roughly the same but better resolution (0,1 mV DC)
- VOLTCRAFT VC265: ~70€, True RMS, the rest looks quite similar to the VC270 as far as I can tell

Would the VC175 fit or should I go for one of the more expensive ones? Or am I on the wrong way? :oops:

JujuPi

Re: Digital Multimeter

Post by JujuPi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:58 am

Since you are a nooby do not spend to much on a multimeter. When you learn a bit more about electronics then do what you want.

Here is one I recommend for you:

UNI-T UT19C

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-U ... a3e5c082b7

OR

UNI-T UT61E (I have this and its very good for the beginner and has everything you would need! - Except a back-light :l but you can mod that in easily!)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-U ... 535e142ad9

Funkenschuhster

Re: Digital Multimeter

Post by Funkenschuhster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Spaddel wrote:Hi!
I (absolute newbie) am working on my equipment - at the moment I'm looking for a digital multimeter. My idea was to find something not too expensive with automatic range selection (to avoid accidenatlly frying it), that is capable of taking measures in the needed range with an acceptable accuracy and performing some tests.
The problem is, that I have almost no experience and thus no idea, which range is really needed. My guess would be:
- DC-Voltage in mV and V
- electric current in mA and A
- electrical resistance in mΩ and Ω
- cuntinuity testing
- diode testing
- capacity testing

Would that fit?

While researching I stumbled upon several Mulltimeters manufactured by VOLTCRAFT. Fluke, Benning and Testboy were a bit too expensive, but these seemed quite okay:
- VOLTCRAFT VC175: ~35€, 4000 count display, RMS, DC-Voltage resolution 10mV, has a non contact voltage tester on top
- VOLTCRAFT VC270: ~65€, seems roughly the same but better resolution (0,1 mV DC)
- VOLTCRAFT VC265: ~70€, True RMS, the rest looks quite similar to the VC270 as far as I can tell

Would the VC175 fit or should I go for one of the more expensive ones? Or am I on the wrong way? :oops:
I'm an electrician at work and I have two Voltcraft for private use. They are not that durable. I shot one while measuring voltage in resistance mode.
At work I use a Beha Amprobe HEX340 A which is pretty reliable but really expensive. But may this one is ok for you:
https://www.amazon.de/Beha-Amprobe-AM-5 ... ha+amprobe

I use my hex for 3 years now and it still survived. As long you don't short circuit anything while current measurement, the Beha stuff will survive ;)