TintyPi Custom Build [Completed]

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
VeteranGamer

Re: TintyPi [WIP]

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 am

Eccho wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 am
Very excited to see the first MintyPi being shown off.
The real question remains: how much hot glue is VeteranGamer going to use for his build? :D
funnily enough, thats one of the reasons i havent finished the build yet (and the lack of some 3d printed parts)

but im waiting to see what wermy did (eagerly awaiting that tuturial vid)... as i think with all the bespoke parts in this build the use of hotglue just doesnt feel right....
could it be epoxy, VHB or i could be wrong and a few blobs of hotglue it is....

never say never....

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:14 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 am
but luckily i've got a few spare....

Ooh I need to order some. where did you get them from?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 am

I bought mine on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-4-Pin-6x ... Sw1DtXInL5 But just doing a search for 6x6x2.5mm tact switches at Aliexpress/Amazon/Banggood/eBay should turn up a bunch of options.

Nice thing about them is, they feel like they've got a lower actuation force than the regular 6x6mm tact switches - IMO they feel closer to a common ground membrane.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:57 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 am
funnily enough, thats one of the reasons i havent finished the build yet (and the lack of some 3d printed parts)

but im waiting to see what wermy did (eagerly awaiting that tuturial vid)... as i think with all the bespoke parts in this build the use of hotglue just doesnt feel right....
could it be epoxy, VHB or i could be wrong and a few blobs of hotglue it is....

never say never....
I use VBH tape for the screen, and a few blobs of glue for the bottom. I needed the bottom piece to be totally flush with the tin, so that's why I used the glue there. No problems so far. :)
ImageImageImageImage

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am

ICMF wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 am
I bought mine on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-4-Pin-6x ... Sw1DtXInL5 But just doing a search for 6x6x2.5mm tact switches at Aliexpress/Amazon/Banggood/eBay should turn up a bunch of options.

Nice thing about them is, they feel like they've got a lower actuation force than the regular 6x6mm tact switches - IMO they feel closer to a common ground membrane.
LOL I got the same auction from ebay. Mine should arrive some time between now and August 7th. Of course, I ordered them without closely reading the wiki link stating that Helder's board already them on it.

So now I'm going to have like 100 spares. Not that that is a bad thing imo. Having lots of any electronics is a great thing. :)

FYI: For another charging board alternative, keep your eye out for those backup phone charger knockoffs. I've gotten several of them from family members who don't know what to buy me (but the mean well :) ). I've taken a few of them apart and found they have a similar board to the ones Adafruit offers and mentioned in this thread. The tests I've run on 2 of them so far (2 different makers) have seemed to work as well as the well known (and more expensive) ones and there's the added bonus of the rechargeable batteries for other projects.

Just tossing that out there for everyone. :)

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 am

still in the testing stages, but just to let others know that are going to be using a blank tin like me (hense tinty pi, and not minty pi)

i tried a few methods, but the one that i'm going to go with is the vinyl gloss sticker paper route
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162311025607

its waterproof and has a nice feel to it, and more importantly the results are very good (especially coming from my basic inkjet printer at home)

first attempt (slightly rushed) and without the use of any heat (hairdryer or similar) to make it go around the corners easier
and my knife work needs a little more attention....

but it sticks and applys really easily (room for correction if you go wrong, as vinyl should be)

not the finished product, and i may end up giving the final tin a coat or two of clear lacquer (to add more durabilty, not sure if it will be matt or gloss)

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 am

Wow, that looks really impressive for a sticker.

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:35 am

The label looks great!
I've just finished my milk.

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 am

Wow! The labels look great!

Is that the real weight? If not, maybe Wermy or Helder could give you the actual weight of a finished one. :lol:

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:11 am

MrDralixx wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 am
Wow! The labels look great!

Is that the real weight? If not, maybe Wermy or Helder could give you the actual weight of a finished one. :lol:
thats the weight from the altoids tin,

i already have all the parts, so finding the weight out isnt an issue...

i kinda dont mind how it is, a little bit altoids in the design....