LPs mintyPi [COMPLETE]

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
dryja123

Re: LPs mintyPi [COMPLETE]

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

ICMF wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm
I would actually suggest going with a larger diameter bit. Something more like this:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1L1b_FVXX ... b-font.jpg

(again, not specifically that one. it's just the first image result with vaguely the right shape)

It will let you use it more like a drill bit - push it against the tin until your hole is the right size - which will give a cleaner, smoother hole. Kind of like the step drill for drilling out the GBZ button holes. Using a smaller bit, like the 1.9mm, you can't drill the full hole, so you'll have to 'trace' around to get your circle, and it won't be perfectly round.

Your bit will work okay for the slots, but it's less suited for the button holes.
Yes, that would be good for making holes but the bit I posted would be perfect for making the power switch and micro usb cutout. Those I needed help with.

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Lphillimore wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:52 am
knew i should have added those diodes as advised by Helder...
abrugsch wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm
Diodes?
I remember this being mentioned in a post once, and expecting it to be in the guide, but it isn't. This is what Helder wrote...

"From my experience and Wermy's as well the 500C doesn't charge and play and neither does the lipo charger. A simple mod with 2 diodes and wire can remedy this though.

I bet you're wondering how do you wire this!? Simple solder a diode from the IN+ on the lipo charger to the Power input on the controller pcb and do the same with the wire coming from the battery to the Power Input. This prevents the battery from getting 5V and the battery draining itself by powering the lipo charger."

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Was about to dig this out and post 👍🏼 I wonder if anyone has added this to their build yet?

HollandJim

Post by HollandJim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 am

Holydohnut wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm
Lphillimore wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:52 am
knew i should have added those diodes as advised by Helder...
abrugsch wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm
Diodes?
I remember this being mentioned in a post once, and expecting it to be in the guide, but it isn't. This is what Helder wrote...

"From my experience and Wermy's as well the 500C doesn't charge and play and neither does the lipo charger. A simple mod with 2 diodes and wire can remedy this though.

I bet you're wondering how do you wire this!? Simple solder a diode from the IN+ on the lipo charger to the Power input on the controller pcb and do the same with the wire coming from the battery to the Power Input. This prevents the battery from getting 5V and the battery draining itself by powering the lipo charger."
It's been a while since I did an electronics project - are we talking about standard 1N4001 (Adafruit link) diodes?
Quando omni flunks, moratati

Dukana

Post by Dukana » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 am

HollandJim wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 am
It's been a while since I did an electronics project - are we talking about standard 1N4001 (Adafruit link) diodes?
Here's what I found from another thread....
Helder wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:13 pm
fractaltheory wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:32 pm
Helder wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm
A diode of any kind really can be used but if possible get fast recovery diodes like this :
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/diodes ... -400v.html
Hi, thanks for giving an example! This is one that's available from a local retailer (for me) - would this work? http://leeselectronic.com/en/product/71388.html
Yes that works and be sure the White Stripe is facing the controller PCB pads, so all Stripes of the 2 diodes solder to the Power Input pad on the controller PCB.
Hope that helps!

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 am

Added Steven Selphs awesome scraper just to give this build a little extra. Screen resolution is impressive and displays the game art nicely. 👌