obsidianspider's mintyPi

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
Holliday86

Re: obsidianspider's mintyPi

Post by Holliday86 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:04 am

I used a banggood boost and mine won't close properly because of that. It's close enough to keep the insides safe though

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 am

After a few days of playing I noticed my Start button was sticking a bit, so I took things apart and used a grinding stone to make the hole slightly larger. Even though there was a bit of a gap around the button I still felt it sticking. To resolve the issue I slightly loosened the screw holding the front plate to the PCB. Now Start doesn't get activated anytime I breathe on the thing.

I also took some time to rewiggle the wires a bit when I put it together and the lid closes much nicer now. I did take a peek inside as I was closing it and I see that the action buttons are pressing against the screen, enough that if you close it when the Pi is running, X will select a random game and then as you close it all the way, A will be pressed to start the game. Since these are rubber and carbon pads I don't think it will kill anything, but it's definitely a thing on my build. I can't seem to move things any more out of the way on the hinge side due to *so* many wires and connections being there.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:10 am

abrugsch wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am
it has the advantage that it won't take 2 years for me to finish!
Hey man, don't go bringing my other builds into this. ;)

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 am

doesn't help that I've just re-ignited another project... (see the discord chat...)

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 am

dryja123 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:43 pm
Eccho wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:29 am
I am so glad I didn't go through the first round of MintyPis. Looks complicated and delicate. But good work so far!
Didn't run into any issues until I tried closing it. Here's how it went down:

Closed it up and noticed the lid wouldn't close and it wasn't level. opened it up.

Opened up, moved cables, closed, still no good.

Opened up, remove micro lipo and replace 22awg power and ground with 26awg cable. Power on ok, close, no power....

Opened up, inspect cables, fix solder joint on power switch, power on ok, close, no power.

Opened up and discovered that solder joint broke on the 5v wire on the Micro Lipo. I tried shipping the solder closer to the board. Remove micro lipo [it was secured with a lot of hot glue] fix solder joint, power on ok, close, board not sitting level but powers on.

Opened up, move sound card and crystal, test power, close, IT SITS LEVEL AND POWERS, play game and L button no longer works. :oops:

Opened up, fix solder on L button, power on and test buttons, close and thankfully sits level.

Believe it or not that was the condensed version of trying to close the unit. All of the troubleshooting took about 6 hours. It was all worth it watching my wife and work colleagues react to how cool this project is.
:lol: :lol: This is like the behind the scenes and something i can definitely relate to :mrgreen: