Tortocs MintyPi build

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
tortoc

Tortocs MintyPi build

Post by tortoc » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 am

Hey Guys,

today i got the Battery and the MicroLipo-PCB from Adafruid and decided to start my build.
Here is what i have done so far.
SpoilerShow
DZDS8YuW0AACYhU.jpg large.jpg
DZDS8YuW0AACYhU.jpg large.jpg (389.05 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
DZDS-AkWAAAmn9w.jpg large.jpg
DZDS-AkWAAAmn9w.jpg large.jpg (411.88 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
Maybe i used a little to much hot glue. But better more then less. :D

Now i'm looking forward to receive my MintyPi PCB Kit. So exited! Can't wait!
Also waiting for the sound card to arrive, which will be shipped from China. I expect it arriving mid April.

And yes, i am using a Barkleys tin. I have never seen a Altoids tin in Germany before and have no clue where to buy one.
Maybe a fellow german can give me a tip where to grab one for a possible second build?

Best whishes from Germany
Tortoc

Wailer

Re: Tortocs MintyPi build

Post by Wailer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 am

Hey Tortoc nice build so far, i have a quick question, is this a standard mintypi printed kid or is it adapted to fit the Barkley's tin?
Over here in holland there are also only barkley tins no altoids (only extremely expensive import).
Maybe a new name should be in order "the BarkleyPi" :lol:

Or maybe a new thread show your 'any other tin than altoids' MintyPi (as long as it's a sweets tin)

tortoc

Post by tortoc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Hey Wailer!

Thanks! :D

In germany a tin of Altoids costs ~6.80€ on Amazon.de which is about 8.40$. Seems a little bit to expensive to me for "just the tin".
On Amazon.com they cost ~2.40$ per tin. :shock:

I used the stock files (updated ones). I had to file down the edges of the screen backplate and the bezel. It seems like the "edge" on these Barkley-Tins is a little bit bigger then on the Altoids tin. But it's not really a deal.

Maybe you can see what i mean in this picture. Look at the lower corners. I had to file a little bit more on the right side.
SpoilerShow
filed-backplate.jpg
filed-backplate.jpg (311.1 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
I'm not really sure if this is because of the edge, tolerances on my printer or if i positioned the backplate wrong when i glued it in place with double sided tape. If i will ever find a Altoids tin i will do another build just for verifying this. :D

I thought about calling it BarkleyPi. But it think per definition Barkleys are also "Mints". So i decided to call mine "MintyPi". ^^
Last edited by tortoc on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Siet gut aus, vielen dank für die info!

I'm still in the middle of my first gbz build (and trying to keep a log (will post when finished)).
But i will definitely be trying a MintyPi (it's almost a household name so let's keep it that way ;) )
I have a 3d printer but a "stoneage" one, and haven't got the time/money to upgrade so i can do quality work.
But good to see that us "Altoids handicapped" can put our Barclays tins to good use!