MintyPi - Built by Cralex

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
Cralex

MintyPi - Built by Cralex

Post by Cralex » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 am

Hey, guys. I've been at this, my first build, for a while now and I'm excited to be part of the community. My previous experience working with tiny electronics amounts to (barely) hardmodding a New3DS XL. Finally got around to taking some pictures, so here you go!
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 49 40 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 49 40 PM.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
I selected a spearmint tin for my build because it's my favorite color. Not pictured, (yet) are the transparent parts I ordered to show off the internals.
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 49 21 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 49 21 PM.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
Here's the somewhat inferior parts that I've used to get this far, due to not having access to a drill. Cheap hand files, a hand drill, and an odometer, straight from China.
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 50 25 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 50 25 PM.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
Well, I eventually managed to drill holes with that hand drill. Here you see the L and R buttons, spearmint green. Since this my first build, I don't really care that I scratched the tin a bit.
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 07 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 07 PM.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
Button PCB connected to the Pi. I made sure to test all the connections, and it seems ok.
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 23 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 23 PM.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
I did my best to make the connections between the two boards extra thin and flat.
SpoilerShow
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 58 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 11, 10 51 58 PM.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3715 times
Last picture for now, since here's where I put the camera down and started working. I managed to find these green buttons to match the theme. They came with an entire green DS Lite shell.

That's where I was before I worked on it tonight. Here's my current progress: I'm missing a longer tactile switch for the function button, which I plan to get tomorrow. Most of the soldering is done. As expected, I had to do some filing on the buttons and the faceplate in order to get them to work together. The screen is tested and working fine. I tested the sound card before trimming it down and it worked well.

My biggest problem now is that I think my power switch is too thick. I got the smallest one I could find locally and I even filed down the sides, but I found that the tin would not stay closed on the right side when I put the other parts in to check the fit. I'm planning to check the store where I'm getting the tactile switch tomorrow to see if they have anything smaller, even though it means yanking out the switch I was using. If not, I am trying to decide between ordering one online or ordering a MintyPi protection sleeve to keep it closed when not in use.

Sorry for rambling and, most likely, poor writing. Need to get some sleep. I'll post updates later.

HollandJim

Re: MintyPi - Built by Cralex

Post by HollandJim » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 am

Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Quando omni flunks, moratati