Kapton Tape Alternative?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
The Cheese Biscuit

Kapton Tape Alternative?

Post by The Cheese Biscuit » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:18 pm

I don't have any kapton tape anymore (I ran out a few weeks ago), and I don't have that much use for it otherwise to buy another roll. Is there any alternative to the tape that is used to protect the Pi from shorting out on the tin? can I just line the bottom with electrical tape?
"I'm not actually a biscuit."

LilTrublMakr

Re: Kapton Tape Alternative?

Post by LilTrublMakr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Electrical tape would work. I generally don't like it because of how much of a mess it makes.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 am

You could use clear nail polish, that has been used to protect CPU dies from liquid metal so I imagine it might work to prevent things from shorting out on the tin. You'd have to make sure you don't have any pointy bits though that would poke through the polish.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Um I use no tape in my builds, it was designed to have nothing conductive touching anything else so unless you have solder peaks coming from your gpio holes you should not need it.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm
Um I use no tape in my builds, it was designed to have nothing conductive touching anything else so unless you have solder peaks coming from your gpio holes you should not need it.
Yup, if you put it together right then there shouldn't be anything that will short. But I have no idea who will be putting these together or their skill level, so that's why I recommended it in the build guide. :)
ImageImageImageImage