mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
whatever_guy

Re: mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

Post by whatever_guy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm
rednakes wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 pm
What specific part will you use for the on/off switch? Mini SPDT slide switch?
Yes exactly. Any tiny switch will do, all it does it put the enable pin on the powerboost to ground.
IMG_2628.JPG
The 3d-printed part gives you about 11.5mm x 6.5mm to work with. If the switch you get is wider than that, I made it so those two posts that hold the switch in place are easy enough to break off cleanly with some pliers. Not a whole lot I can do about the depth though - so there's about 6.5mm to work with. :)
I noticed in your video, that you have the on/off switch in the front of the tin case. Just curious how you went about cutting the hole? Any particular methods/tips for this?

Otherwise I was wondering is it possible to face the switch upwards and have sticking up through at the lower right side of the bottom 3d printed plate? I'm not sure how it's fitted so am just curious to ask/find out.

ash49er

Post by ash49er » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Wermy how much are you expecting the custom PCB to be? Will you have a tutorial on how to do it without the PCB?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 pm

whatever_guy wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 pm
I noticed in your video, that you have the on/off switch in the front of the tin case. Just curious how you went about cutting the hole? Any particular methods/tips for this?

Otherwise I was wondering is it possible to face the switch upwards and have sticking up through at the lower right side of the bottom 3d printed plate? I'm not sure how it's fitted so am just curious to ask/find out.
I actually had done that with the switch initially (mounting it vertically below the buttons). The problem I ran into with that, though, is it sort of required you to use the exact same switch that I did. So I decided to have it poke out the front like I did on the first one.

For cutting the holes I drill a tiny pilot hole, and expand it with some needle-nose pliers. It's definitely the most tedious part of the whole build and may take a few tries. Good thing Altoids are cheap (and if you mess up a tin, you still get to eat the mints). :)
ash49er wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Wermy how much are you expecting the custom PCB to be? Will you have a tutorial on how to do it without the PCB?
Not sure yet. We should be getting samples in next week. I don't expect it'll cost terribly much though - comparing with other button PCBs (not all-in-one boards) is probably a good gauge.
ImageImageImageImage

Holliday86

Post by Holliday86 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:42 am

Hey,

I registered just to say how excited I am for this guide.

I was just wondering if a teensy will be used for this one or just using the GPIO pins.

Made a few camera based systems (dashcam/bikecam/security cam) using the rpi but this is my first "fun" project and I'm super excited!

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Mon May 01, 2017 7:06 am

Holliday86 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:42 am

I was just wondering if a teensy will be used for this one or just using the GPIO pins.
No need for a teensy. The GPIO pins along with Retrogame are more than adequate for the "Super Nintendo" type button layout being used.

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 am

Yeah you can get 22 gpio pins as well as the screen! Especially if your using USB for the sound! They does include gpio 0 and 1 which are technically reserved for "hat" eeprom usage, but I have never had an issue personally
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Just to keep the momentum going I just received the prototype controller boards and screen addons (still waiting on ribbons and connectors). I'm sending them over to Wermy tomorrow so I'll wait till he plays with them and has something to show. There might be tweaks after the testing but most likely this is going to be it form factor wise. No this isn't the AIO as that will come later.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Thu May 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm
Just to keep the momentum going I just received the prototype controller boards and screen addons (still waiting on ribbons and connectors). I'm sending them over to Wermy tomorrow so I'll wait till he plays with them and has something to show. There might be tweaks after the testing but most likely this is going to be it form factor wise. No this isn't the AIO as that will come later.
Sorry for the ignorant question, but when you say "Screen Addons" what are those?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Sirlias wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:12 pm
Sorry for the ignorant question, but when you say "Screen Addons" what are those?
When the 2.2 inch screens were the ones planned for the build before becoming unavailable (some sellers might have them now) I made an addon board that solders to the pin header area of the screen PCB that you attach a flat ribbon cable to and then connect the other end of the ribbon to the controller board. You don't need this addon board but it made it easier and nicer than soldering 9 wires from the screen to the controller board, again it's optional.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Thu May 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm
Sirlias wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:12 pm
When the 2.2 inch screens were the ones planned for the build before becoming unavailable (some sellers might have them now) I made an addon board that solders to the pin header area of the screen PCB that you attach a flat ribbon cable to and then connect the other end of the ribbon to the controller board. You don't need this addon board but it made it easier and nicer than soldering 9 wires from the screen to the controller board, again it's optional.
Oh, Ok. Thanks. That makes sense.