mintyPi Screen

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
VeteranGamer

Re: mintyPi Screen

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm

rednakes wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm
Gah...

I ordered a 2.2" ILI9341 from eBay last month but instead I received a 2.4" for some reason. It looks different from the other 2.4" ones I've seen posted here so far.

Will this one work if I desolder the pins or remove the screen?
IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG

From the URL shown on the back of the board (mcufriend.com), I went to the site and found this info for the board in Chinese (ili9325, ili9341):

http://mcufriend.com/shop/html/?12.html
Not looking good....

I'd first try and get a refund, as you ordered a 2.2 screen and this ain't it.

If your intending to make a mintyPi, you've gotta have an altoid tin at hand to test these things I don't think that board will even fit into the tin...

It may not all be lost... You may be able to use it, but I'd find out what driver it is for certain...
Because you may be able to seperate it, and use the bare screen.

Removing the screen may end up damaging it, then you have the issue of wiring up a bare screen.

Personally I'd either sell it or put it away for another project, and get either a 2.2 screen that we know works or wait for wermy and Helder to come up with their magic and make things a lot easiers

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm
rednakes wrote:
Gah...

I ordered a 2.2" ILI9341 from eBay last month but instead I received a 2.4" for some reason. It looks different from the other 2.4" ones I've seen posted here so far.

IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG

From the URL shown on the back of the board (mcufriend.com), I went to the site and found this info for the board in Chinese (ili9325, ili9341):

Not looking good....

If your intending to make a mintyPi, you've gotta have an altoid tin at hand to test these things I don't think that board will even fit into the tin...

It may not all be lost... You may be able to use it, but I'd find out what driver it is for certain...

Removing the screen may end up damaging it, then you have the issue of wiring up a bare screen.

Personally I'd either sell it or put it away for another project, and get either a 2.2 screen that we know works or wait for wermy and Helder to come up with their magic and make things a lot easiers

Yeah I asked them for a refund yesterday, still waiting for response. I'll probably just keep this one for another project.

As you can see it fits in an Altoids tin but I'll skip this one and wait on my other 2.2" to arrive.
IMG_4543.JPG
IMG_4543.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 8862 times

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41 am

rednakes wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm
rednakes wrote:
Gah...

IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG

Not looking good....

Yeah I asked them for a refund yesterday, still waiting for response. I'll probably just keep this one for another project.

As you can see it fits in an Altoids tin but I'll skip this one and wait on my other 2.2" to arrive.

IMG_4543.JPG

fitting into the lid doesnt mean it fits into the tin (there is a difference)

the 2.8 screen fits into the lid, but try closing the tin and you start having issues...

hopefully you get a refund, if the seller doesnt play ball just open a paypal dispute... if it was listed as 2.2 and they sent you a 2.4 its grounds for a refund (just say its no use to you, as you ONLY need the 2.2)

id just wait for wermy and helder to sort things out (there coming up with an easier solution), hopefully that should be soon

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

That's @Moosepr's work, he has a thread on here with those boards.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat May 20, 2017 12:28 am

Helder wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm
That's @Moosepr's work, he has a thread on here with those boards.
My bad... I missed it in his thread

(Different name on osh park)

ZenoArrow

Post by ZenoArrow » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm

wermy wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 7:47 pm
ICMF wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:22 pm
I don't think anyone actually commented on this, so I'll ask again.

Since there's been mention of using just the bare board with a custom adapter PCB, would it be possible to go even bigger than 2.4"? If we don't need to use the screen's board at all, that should free up a bunch of space. Unless I'm totally misinterpreting the design here (which is entirely possible :) )
The next widely-available step up from 2.4" is 2.8". I have some bare 2.8" screens on hand and there really just isn't room for it. You lose more vertical space than you might think just from the way the hinge opens. 2.4" should be nice though, I think. Heck, the Game Boy Micro only had a 2" screen! :)
Just wondering, what requirements would I need to look out for if I was interested in trying the custom display PCB with a different screen? I'm just curious to see if a 2.6'' screen might work (I understand there would be no guarantees).

There are some 2.6'' screens on Alibaba:

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/2.6-in ... creen.html

This one looks promising (it's a 4:3 aspect ratio screen with usable resolution), but I don't know whether it uses the right display protocol:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 43058.html

I'm confident that the 2.4'' screen will be good, I'm just trying to push things as far as they can go in the Altoids form factor. :mrgreen:

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 am

That can and will work but not with my LCD board which is 18pins that one is 50 pins and you'll need Wermy to modify the screen bezel and back panel to accommodate it.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Finland Is My City

Post by Finland Is My City » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am

If I buy a 2.2" screen, how do I get a PCB? I live in Europe so ordering the 2.4" screen and PCB would be a real pain. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-2-inch-240- ... Swn-tZItT- Would this screen work. I can't see any differences.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm

How would it be a pain? I sell to people all over Europe and they have no issues or were you trying to get a cheap alternative? And that screen will work like VeteranGamer did for his initial build.