mintyPi Screen

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
VeteranGamer

Re: mintyPi Screen

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am

NB: this is not to muddy the waters (i'm aware wermy is looking into a 2.4 build)

in mysearch for a screen for this build, i contacted dozens of suppliers either for a 2.2 (as the original build) or a 2.4 screen....

the 2.4 screen is readily available either with a board or without (bare screen)... i have some on order, but not received

the 2.2 is virtually extinct, but i did find a couple of seller/vendors that claimed they had some (i'm still wainting on one order from another seller)

but i just received a couple of the 2.2 screens a few days ago from a seller, and since communicating with them they assure me they have stock of them.

i place the order on the 26th of April and received them to the UK on the 8th of May....packaged in a box and the screens were bubble wrapped

now i relise most ppl are gonna want to opt or wait for the 2.4 and understand that thinking....

i'm only posting this because...
the screens are relatively cheap, i paid $11.98 for 2 inc shipping but you can buy one for $4.88 plus shipping (about $2)
they will work with this project and others
and most importantly they have them.

http://www.ieeshop.com/c/lcd_0366/2.html

http://www.ieeshop.com/22quot-serial-sp ... p4091.html

http://www.ieeshop.com/2pcs-22quot-seri ... p4115.html

i went with the 2 screens as price wise there isnt much of a difference and for the cost their worth it and the postage is the same as the single screen
i also paid via paypal and chose the hong kong post shipping option (not that it makes much of a difference with the budget shippers)

also...this doesnt matter too much, i didnt order via the website as i was in email communication with a representative from the company they sent me a paypal invoice direct.....

again this isnt to muddy the waters

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 11, 2017 10:32 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am
stuff
Thanks. :) There's nothing wrong with the 2.2" screen if you can manage to find it (and you don't mind having a slightly smaller screen than the 2.4" version we're working on). I'll have 3d-printed parts that support it available as well. The button PCB will have pads on it which will allow you to use wires too (I actually put up a quick update video last night for folks that don't follow the forums, and you can see the button PCB being used in that way in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlciK9WVwSw).
ImageImageImageImage

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

wermy wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:32 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am
stuff
Thanks. :) There's nothing wrong with the 2.2" screen if you can manage to find it (and you don't mind having a slightly smaller screen than the 2.4" version we're working on). I'll have 3d-printed parts that support it available as well. The button PCB will have pads on it which will allow you to use wires too (I actually put up a quick update video last night for folks that don't follow the forums, and you can see the button PCB being used in that way in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlciK9WVwSw).
Thanks for the update video!

One question. When you placed the 2.4" screen 3d printout you made into the 3d printed top piece you put the side of the board that sticks out further up against the hinge. Is there a reason that side of the board needs to be against the hinge? Wouldn't putting the other side of the board against the hinge make it more centered? Just wondering.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue May 16, 2017 3:31 am

got a couple of the 2.4 screens in today (just bought of ebay)

and at first glance i think i can make it work, even with the 3d printed hinge

now the screen is upside down (i think), but i dont think that matters too much as i'm sure you can adjust the rotation when setting up the spi to the pi zero

i have also got a couple of bare screens on the way, but i think these would work (but the boards would need to be dremeled a bit)

Holliday86

Post by Holliday86 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am

I have 2 of the 2.2 screens that I ordered from eBay, I believe I got them from Wermys original link way back when.

I have them both hooked up and working on respective pi zeros (and ready for the altoid tins) but I was wondering if anyone knew which bits of the board can be chopped to reduce the size a bit?

Thanks

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue May 16, 2017 11:18 am

Holliday86 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am
I have 2 of the 2.2 screens that I ordered from eBay, I believe I got them from Wermys original link way back when.

I have them both hooked up and working on respective pi zeros (and ready for the altoid tins) but I was wondering if anyone knew which bits of the board can be chopped to reduce the size a bit?

Thanks
the 2.2 screen doesnt need any modification to it, its the bigger 2.4 screen with board that will if you decide to go down that route....

wermy and helder are working on a easier solution that will hopefully incorporate a 2.4 bare screen but will need to be paired with helder button pcb (i think)

if you have the 2.2, theres no need to butcher it

Holliday86

Post by Holliday86 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 am

Yeah, I know it fits fairly nicely in there, just the more space saved the better :p

Thanks.

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Tue May 16, 2017 11:30 am

Holliday86 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 am
Yeah, I know it fits fairly nicely in there, just the more space saved the better :p

Thanks.
I don't understand why. What else are you going to put in there?

Holliday86

Post by Holliday86 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 am

I was maybe going to get a different speaker and pop it up there like in wermy's original build.

rednakes

Post by rednakes » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Gah...

I ordered a 2.2" ILI9341 from eBay last month but instead I received a 2.4" for some reason. It looks different from the other 2.4" ones I've seen posted here so far.

Will this one work if I desolder the pins or remove the screen?
IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4530.JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 9451 times
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 9451 times
From the URL shown on the back of the board (mcufriend.com), I went to the site and found this info for the board in Chinese (ili9325, ili9341):

http://mcufriend.com/shop/html/?12.html