STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

Post by Helder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 am

Take it easy. Wermy just mentioned his new designs and people already want them before everything is ready to roll out in the next batch. For a first post asking for things still needing some tweaking and not officially released or even mentioned to be released publicly just makes it look like you're just here for a hit and run but maybe that's just me from dealing with such people.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Majeye

Post by Majeye » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 am

@Wermy & @Helder,

I noticed Helder has his name printed right on his parts, perhaps @Wermy, you could figure out a way to have your name printed on your 3D parts? Or etched into them somehow?

That way if someone does snap up a business of their own by using your STL files, it is quite apparent where the parts came from? I know programmers do this in their code.. thousands to tens of thousands of lines of code, no one is going to go line by line to check to see if/when a coder put their name in the code. ;)
1st MintyPi Project (Completed)

Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied Helder's AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:46 am

Majeye wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 am
@Wermy & @Helder,

I noticed Helder has his name printed right on his parts, perhaps @Wermy, you could figure out a way to have your name printed on your 3D parts? Or etched into them somehow?

That way if someone does snap up a business of their own by using your STL files, it is quite apparent where the parts came from? I know programmers do this in their code.. thousands to tens of thousands of lines of code, no one is going to go line by line to check to see if/when a coder put their name in the code. ;)
thats not a viable option...

best to just sit on the files and sell them, the other stl are alreay out there (and i think the best looking prints i've seen are the ones that Wermy sold anyway...)

printing lettering can be a pain at the best of times (trying to get a clean print)

also its not that difficult to just remove the name....

even someone with my limited abiltiy was able to remove the logo.....

wolfkabal

Post by wolfkabal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I figure it's a long shot, but wanted to a) check what software you're using to build out the models b) if you'd be willing to sell/license the source models (not just the stl). I ask simply because I'm looking to try an alternative method for getting the structure pieces. My 3D printer has been giving me a fit lately. I went ahead and ordered a set of prints from you directly already, but I want to try milling the pieces out of different plastics as I have a couple CNC mills (desktop and benchtop sizes). But I can't generate the tool paths from an stl, at least not without rebuilding the entire model (within Fusion 360).

Figured I'd ask before putting forth the effort to re-engineer them for milling purposes. Yeah, probably overkill for something like this, but use what you got..

JonnyRubiks

Post by JonnyRubiks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:11 pm

@wermy,
Have the STL files for the updated version without the screw holes on the bezels been uploaded? I've downloaded the .zip of STL files on the first post of this thread and I don't see the updated version. If you did this on purpose and don't want to upload those STL files that's totally cool. I'm still willing to use the screw hole version. (as long as it still works with Helder's updated PCB and screen combo?)

@helder,
I just pre-ordered your PCB combo kit. I'm super stoked! Quick question, if I were to use @ilike56k's STLs that allowed a place for a headphone jack, would everything still fit using your boards? (files found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2519342

JonnyRubiks

Post by JonnyRubiks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 pm

P.S....that also means someone has uploaded these files up to Thingiverse after all. (well at least variations of them) Was only a matter of time in the world we live in. :(

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 pm

My kits haven't changed much so if that modified base works for v1 kits then the v2 should also work.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:46 am
Majeye wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 am
@Wermy & @Helder,

thats not a viable option...

best to just sit on the files and sell them, the other stl are alreay out there (and i think the best looking prints i've seen are the ones that Wermy sold anyway...)

printing lettering can be a pain at the best of times (trying to get a clean print)

also its not that difficult to just remove the name....

even someone with my limited abiltiy was able to remove the logo.....

I agree it took me 4 prints to perfect dailing in my Prusa Mk2S with smome nice Vertigo Galaxy. It looks verry nice. Also not to VeteranGamer but to the rest. Give it time to release the stl files. Common and if you cannot wait make it your self. Then you now why wermy and Helder is holding on the STL files.
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

joao

Post by joao » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 am

Hi,
Can someone tell me what is the free space between the face plastic and the lcd plastic, seen in the previous picture, when the case is closed?

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:40 am

Does anyone have any advice for printing the parts, particularly the faceplate? I feel the orientation should be rotated so the face is upside down (flat against the build plate), but I am not sure how the logo would be affected in this case. I am guessing there would be support material built. Has anyone tried printing it vertically?