STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Robochris

Re: STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

Post by Robochris » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm
abrugsch wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm
pla is more brittle so for the arm it's going to be particularly problematic, but it will still work, just not optimal
I think PLA gets a bad rap for that and may be brand dependent, but if printed at 100% infill, you may be surprised at the strength and flexibility. I think you should be ok with this particular print.
Thanks guys! I was going to do it anyways. Just wanted some input.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 am

if there are going to be any problems, it's likely to be with the screws, so take extra care, maybe drill the holes before screwing into them

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 am

I have a whole mintyPi set and it's all PLA and no issues with screws or rescrewing them a few times. It should hold out pretty well.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:32 am

Awesome. that's better luck than I've had with screw posts in PLA then ;)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Yeah the tougher plastic will just hold up better to repeated screwing/unscrewing. If PLA is all you have and/or all you can do then you should be able to get by without much/any trouble.
ImageImageImageImage

KerriganKitty

Post by KerriganKitty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Hey wermy I was wondering if I can get permission to upload your STL to thingiverse? It makes it easy for people to make remixes and share those remixes.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm

KerriganKitty wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm
Hey wermy I was wondering if I can get permission to upload your STL to thingiverse? It makes it easy for people to make remixes and share those remixes.
not sure what wermy would say (they are his designs)....

but we already have a community here (and welcome more to join), and i'm sure theres members more than capable of remixing the design and sharing them via sudomod....

personally i would prefer it to stay in the community...

but the way things have been going recently, i wouldnt be surprised it they do turn up on thingiverse (under another author/designers name) and then on ebay or other websites for sale....
Last edited by VeteranGamer on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KerriganKitty

Post by KerriganKitty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm
KerriganKitty wrote:

but we already have a community here, and i'm sure theres members more than capable of remixing the design and sharing them via sudomod....

but they way things have been going recently, i wouldnt be surprised it they do turn up on thingiverse (under another author/designers name) and then on ebay....
I think sharing the STLs outside of sudomod would bring more hobbyist here. Isn't that the whole idea behind all this? Make, Share, and have fun? I've love to see wermy add it himself on thingiverse so the files would always be available and easy to access.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am

KerriganKitty wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm
KerriganKitty wrote:

but we already have a community here, and i'm sure theres members more than capable of remixing the design and sharing them via sudomod....

but they way things have been going recently, i wouldnt be surprised it they do turn up on thingiverse (under another author/designers name) and then on ebay....
I think sharing the STLs outside of sudomod would bring more hobbyist here. Isn't that the whole idea behind all this? Make, Share, and have fun? I've love to see wermy add it himself on thingiverse so the files would always be available and easy to access.

its a double edged sword when it comes to sharing outside.....

yes it brings more people to the fold, but so do other platforms like youtube, twitter & facebook....

but it also kinda gives those that lack some integrity a license to do what they want....

and how difficult is it just to go to another site, no ones had issues on here accessing the files....

damned if you do, damned if you dont...

KerriganKitty

Post by KerriganKitty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am

its a double edged sword when it comes to sharing outside.....
yes it brings more people to the fold, but so do other platforms like youtube, twitter & facebook....
but it also kinda gives those that lack some integrity a license to do what they want....
and how difficult is it just to go to another site, no ones had issues on here accessing the files....

damned if you do, damned if you dont...
Idk if saying it will bring too many people is a good enough reason not too. I've stumbled across many wonderful projects on thingiverse because I was looking at STLs to print. I'm not saying the current method makes it unattainable which is far from it. I think it's a fantastic project and I'd love to see other hobbyist stumble across it as well. I am an outsider to this humble community and i'll respect what decision is made. I know I would be very honored if a stranger liked my projects so much they would go so far as to share them so others can enjoy as well.