STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
VeteranGamer

Re: STL Files for 3D-Printing mintyPi

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:56 am

KerriganKitty wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am

its a double edged sword when it comes to sharing outside.....
yes it brings more people to the fold, but so do other platforms like youtube, twitter & facebook....
but it also kinda gives those that lack some integrity a license to do what they want....
and how difficult is it just to go to another site, no ones had issues on here accessing the files....

damned if you do, damned if you dont...
Idk if saying it will bring too many people is a good enough reason not too. I've stumbled across many wonderful projects on thingiverse because I was looking at STLs to print. I'm not saying the current method makes it unattainable which is far from it. I think it's a fantastic project and I'd love to see other hobbyist stumble across it as well. I am an outsider to this humble community and i'll respect what decision is made. I know I would be very honored if a stranger liked my projects so much they would go so far as to share them so others can enjoy as well.

at the end of the day, its wermy call.... if he gives you permission to upload to thingiverse or does it himself....

this is just my personal stance on things....

Mikethesith200

Post by Mikethesith200 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:07 am

Putting them on thingiverse would be a bad decision, in my opinion. Too many scumbags.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

Hey guys,
I've been reluctant to put my stuff on Thingiverse and similar sites in the past. One reason is because yes, there are people out there who all they do is find, print and sell stuff from those sites on ebay, which feels a little frustrating. Another reason is because I don't like the idea of fragmenting things too much (if I post stuff on thingiverse, that's just one more spot I have to keep an eye on for people posting questions or issues they run into or whatever).

But, sitting here typing those excuses out, I'm not sure how valid they are. Models printed from the STL files for the Game Boy Zero that I released ended up on ebay very quickly, and I never put those on thingiverse (and I've seen remixes pop up on thingiverse for them, too). And for the second concern, maybe the better solution would be to get out in front of it and post them myself so I can direct people here for issues.

I dunno. Let me think about it a bit. :)
KerriganKitty wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am

its a double edged sword when it comes to sharing outside.....
yes it brings more people to the fold, but so do other platforms like youtube, twitter & facebook....
but it also kinda gives those that lack some integrity a license to do what they want....
and how difficult is it just to go to another site, no ones had issues on here accessing the files....

damned if you do, damned if you dont...
Idk if saying it will bring too many people is a good enough reason not too. I've stumbled across many wonderful projects on thingiverse because I was looking at STLs to print. I'm not saying the current method makes it unattainable which is far from it. I think it's a fantastic project and I'd love to see other hobbyist stumble across it as well. I am an outsider to this humble community and i'll respect what decision is made. I know I would be very honored if a stranger liked my projects so much they would go so far as to share them so others can enjoy as well.
ImageImageImageImage

KerriganKitty

Post by KerriganKitty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 pm

wermy wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am
Hey guys,
I've been reluctant to put my stuff on Thingiverse and similar sites in the past. One reason is because yes, there are people out there who all they do is find, print and sell stuff from those sites on ebay, which feels a little frustrating. Another reason is because I don't like the idea of fragmenting things too much (if I post stuff on thingiverse, that's just one more spot I have to keep an eye on for people posting questions or issues they run into or whatever).

But, sitting here typing those excuses out, I'm not sure how valid they are. Models printed from the STL files for the Game Boy Zero that I released ended up on ebay very quickly, and I never put those on thingiverse (and I've seen remixes pop up on thingiverse for them, too). And for the second concern, maybe the better solution would be to get out in front of it and post them myself so I can direct people here for issues.

I dunno. Let me think about it a bit. :)
:) Thanks for thinking about it and most definitely if you do consider it then direct people here. I was already planning on doing that myself with the blog post, how-to video, and wiki links. There is no reason to give support out side of the forums.

I do believe getting in front of something like this is a good idea. Someone will eventually exploit your stuff and claim it from themselves no matter what is done but it does make it harder if it's already well known. On the good side it is advertisement for your community which will attracts other hobbyist. Who knows it could bring some really cool people.

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 am

Hey wermy,
The units of the parts are in inches or mm?

thanks for making the parts available for every sudomoders, i will soon donate something to you ;)

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 am

my setup defaults to mm and cura loaded them straight up without changing the units, so I'd say mm ;)

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am

wermy - how do you feel about people posting re-mixes of your files here on Sudomod? Not uploaded to Thingiverse, just a direct download link like you did in the OP, so it's limited (as much as possible) to the community?

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:58 pm

I was going to ask the same. It's only a little change, but I've moved the powerboost support bracket down the Base file so that it supports the microlipo instead. I was unsure as to whether posting would be welcomed or not as I'm effectively messing with stuff that doesn't belong to me, and as a wise clown once said "Never rub another man's rhubarb"!

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Remixes are fine with me. :) Might be nice to consolidate all the remixes into one place. I'll get something set up on the wiki.
ImageImageImageImage

dasfool

Post by dasfool » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Holydohnut wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:58 pm
I was going to ask the same. It's only a little change, but I've moved the powerboost support bracket down the Base file so that it supports the microlipo instead.
Please upload your remixed STLs, I'm going to use the micro lipo as well and it would be helpful (as well as save me the time of altering them myself :p)!