Setup script

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
wermy
Site Admin

Setup script

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Hey guys,
The setup script that I used to create the pre-made image is ready for download. It's linked to on the wiki, along with some instructions: http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... i#Software

Post here if you have any questions or problems running it!
ImageImageImageImage

dryja123

Re: Setup script

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm

No problems but I had a general question. With previous RetroPie builds I was able to pop the UNC path into run (Windows) and interact with the Pi to drop ROMs. It seems like that feature was disabled on the pre-built image and I had to use FileZilla. I don't mind using FileZille but found the other way to be much easier.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm
No problems but I had a general question. With previous RetroPie builds I was able to pop the UNC path into run (Windows) and interact with the Pi to drop ROMs. It seems like that feature was disabled on the pre-built image and I had to use FileZilla. I don't mind using FileZille but found the other way to be much easier.
I'm not much of a windows user but it sounds like that's a result of having the Samba share disabled. I did that to reduce boot time - it cut something like 15 seconds off.

Edit: If you want to keep that you can just comment out that bit in the setup script.
ImageImageImageImage

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm

That sounds like the case and saving the 15 seconds on boot is more valuable than a feature I'll seldom use.

Apis

Post by Apis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

@Wermy Would you happen to know if it is possible to use this script or to build a script for Recalbox 4.1 (unstable, soon to be stable)?

Please do not take this as me demanding that you make this image/script, I was just curious. I generally favor Recalbox, but I'll install whatever is available. Thank you for setting up this script and all your efforts to make this sudomod project a success :)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 am

Apis wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am
@Wermy Would you happen to know if it is possible to use this script or to build a script for Recalbox 4.1 (unstable, soon to be stable)?

Please do not take this as me demanding that you make this image/script, I was just curious. I generally favor Recalbox, but I'll install whatever is available. Thank you for setting up this script and all your efforts to make this sudomod project a success :)
I haven't looked into it... The important parts of the script should work, though (meaning the screen, sound and controls). I think. I'd have to try it.
ImageImageImageImage

Apis

Post by Apis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Hey Wermy, I looked into it and the Recalbox download server is currently migrating (they are going to release the 4.1 update as stable as soon as they finish migrating). Here's the currently dead link: http://archive.recalbox.com/4/ Recalbox is different from Retropie in that the base system is read-only. link: https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os ... e-%28EN%29 Also Recalbox lacks a repository and a package system.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Slightly offtopic but if recalbox is read only does it make the SD card less prone to corruption on unsafe shutdowns?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Helder wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm
Slightly offtopic but if recalbox is read only does it make the SD card less prone to corruption on unsafe shutdowns?
Yes, exactly.

Apis

Post by Apis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

Disclaimer: I am not a technology expert
Here's a link with reason's why to go read-only and how to do it in Retropie: https://hallard.me/raspberry-pi-read-only/

One of the reasons I use Recalbox is because I have suffered from sd-card corruption in the past with Retropie, so I prefer Recalbox's approach.