Completely Clueless, but very interested!

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
CodeNameDonut

Completely Clueless, but very interested!

Post by CodeNameDonut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:48 am

So I am a completely clueless teenager that has no experience with these kinds of electronics. Yet, I am very interested in having a Nintendo 64 emulator in a freaking Altoids box! There are a few things I really need help on.
1. How to get games onto the electronic
2. How to get an emulator onto the electronic
3. Is it as easy to build this as it says it is in the building guide or am I missing something?
4. Finally, how to run the emulator and games on the electronic

Again I am no tech wizard a nd I just seriously need help before I accidentally faceplant into a deep dark hole of debt and failure. :mrgreen:

Holydohnut

Re: Completely Clueless, but very interested!

Post by Holydohnut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

Presuming you're talking about the mintypi build, in which case I'm sorry to tell you Nintendo 64 emulation doesn't work terribly well as it uses a Raspberry Pi Zero which isn't really up to the job. If you search this forum, there was a previous discussion on which games worked and didn't. Might be worth starting there.
Wermy has provided a custom build of Retropie for the mintypi which contains everything you need software wise, except for the Roms. Roms are a legal grey area so you might be better reading up on that subject on Google.
Finally if this is the first time you've looked at building something like this, one of the forum members (abrugsch) wrote a superb guide to soldering which I recommend reading.

Welcome, and best of luck! We all started somewhere. :-)

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 am

Hi,
First, welcome to the forums!

Those are very broad question you are asking and you probably need more some basic answers to get started. We can chat on Discord if you need (Eccho #1736).

Best of luck to you.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:48 am

Welcome, mate!

Great to see you taking an interest.

Personally i would recommend getting yourself a Raspberry Pi3, SD card, power supply nand generic USB controller.

Set this up with RetroPie and discover the heart of these projects. This itself will answer a lot of your questions....plus you'll have a retro gaming station 😎

GameBoy Zero's ane mintyPis are simply unique and amazing ways of repackaging RetroPie into portable forms....very cool.

Check the forums, ask questions and people here will help answer your questions.

Also, remember that Google is your friend 🤓