Power switch position

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
iTJ84

Power switch position

Post by iTJ84 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am

I'm new the forum so I hope this is the correct sub forum as I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the hardware section so I apologize if this is incorrect.

I just stumbled upon the mintyPi build on YouTube and sadly missed the preorder for the PCB + LCD so I'm waiting for another batch but in the meantime I had a thought and wanted some feedback on it since I don't have the parts nor built one.

I was thinking about the position of the power switch and was wondering if it was possible the reposition it to the left side of the tin between the L tactical switch and the microLipo board. With the use of the microLipo over the Powerboost 500 there is some room between the two components. And by moving the switch over to the left that maybe there would be a little extra room for a slightly larger battery.

Since I've never built one my concerns are it possibly interfering with another component or interfering with hand positioning. If the switch is ok in the position is there enough room for a slightly larger battery. I know there's a lot of stuff and in a small space and when it comes millimeters it can make a big difference.

Just wanted to know from some of you that have built these if there's enough room for any of the changes.

dryja123

Re: Power switch position

Post by dryja123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

It might work and it might not. You would have to cut the wires pretty short to and it would be a tight angle from the micro lipo to the power switch. dealing with a tight angle will make the wire less flexible which could result into a height restriction and or stress on the solder joints.

The current 1200 MaH battery is more than sufficient for 3 hours of game time. Keep in mind there's no room for any additional thickness of the battery, if you choose to explore larger capacities.

I've played a ton of games on my mintyPi and have yet run into an issue where it died during game time. If you partner your build with the newly available battery monitoring PCB you will have a better handle on your battery life as you play.

iTJ84

Post by iTJ84 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you for your response. The kind of answer I was looking for from someone that knows more about it than I. I was afraid there was going to be some sort of issue with repositioning it so I'm glad I asked first.

Thanks again!

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Don't let my response discourage you from tinkering and finding improvements!

I found a 2.8 inch bare SPI screen that uses the same ribbon as helder's 2.4 inch screen. I measured the screen and it *should* fit perfectly and allow enough room to allow the lid to close. Though I would have to commission someone to create new 3d printed parts if it's successful....