Shut Down Button Location

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Ampersand

Shut Down Button Location

Post by Ampersand » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:12 am

This new safe shut down board will allow for a shut down on demand button. Have you guys figured out a good place to put it?

I was thinking of cutting an extra hole along the bottom edge so that all power management stuff was in one place, and then hot gluing a small button in there to stick out slightly like the LR buttons; no need to adjust any 3D prints.

VeteranGamer

Re: Shut Down Button Location

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:20 am

Ampersand wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:12 am
This new safe shut down board will allow for a shut down on demand button. Have you guys figured out a good place to put it?

I was thinking of cutting an extra hole along the bottom edge so that all power management stuff was in one place, and then hot gluing a small button in there to stick out slightly like the LR buttons; no need to adjust any 3D prints.

i've put my safe shutdown on the right of the faceplate (looks better)...

but it has meant i've had to mess a little with the camera connector, it your unsure about doing this anywhere else will do....

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am

That is looking shiny!
Have you glued the button straight onto the back of the front plate part or figured something else out?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 am

Ampersand wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am
That is looking shiny!
Have you glued the button straight onto the back of the front plate part or figured something else out?

havent glued it yet, not a fan of hot glue.... but i'm gonna have to compromise on this build (there no other option, as it is)

where it is, is directly above the camera connector...
i've had to share/grind a little of the plastic of the the connector to get it to sit flush and it supports half the button nicely, i'll more that likely just use a small blob just to keep it in place....

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 pm

That faceplate looks great! You printed those stickers for text and the raspberry, right? I have to reload it again (if I can find where I put it), but I have the Nintendo font and had thought of doing that myself. And then using a light, clear coat spray to hold it down and make sure it doesn't come up too easily.

I'm curious. What did you use for the button? Was it the same as for the start/select? Or something else?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 am

Those are water slide stickers, explained here

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=40
Follow me on instagram Image

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 am

MrDralixx wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 pm
That faceplate looks great!

I'm curious. What did you use for the button? Was it the same as for the start/select? Or something else?
Thanks....

The start/select and logo are water slide decals...

The buttons are original grey/silver from a DS lite (I've not done anything to the buttons)

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 am
MrDralixx wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 pm
That faceplate looks great!

Thanks....

The start/select and logo are water slide decals...

The buttons are original grey/silver from a DS lite (I've not done anything to the buttons)
Hey Veteran, I believe he's looking to find out what button you used for the shutdown. I'm curious as well. Obviously space is a premium, especially over the battery, so I'd like to know the exact button you used.

Thanks!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 am

Heads up, if you are using Helders LCD backboard, this simple shutdown will not work in that the backlight will always stay on as it is tied directly to battery. The SD style backboard uses a transistor to cut power through a pi gpio. I believe Helder will have that on his newer board in the future.
Also, I'm not sure, but, what happens if the pi freezes? How will the power cut out if the "power" button script has frozen for whatever reason?

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:19 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 am
Heads up, if you are using Helders LCD backboard, this simple shutdown will not work in that the backlight will always stay on as it is tied directly to battery. The SD style backboard uses a transistor to cut power through a pi gpio. I believe Helder will have that on his newer board in the future.
Also, I'm not sure, but, what happens if the pi freezes? How will the power cut out if the "power" button script has frozen for whatever reason?
I was thinking about using the button to execute the script and the power switch to kill the power once the OS has been safely shutdown.