MintiPi Compute Module

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
ZenoArrow

Re: MintiPi Compute Module

Post by ZenoArrow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks for the suggestion but if you are expecting me or someone else to go to great lengths to prove it can be done and if it's more cost effective (which it isn't) then you will be waiting a long time.

I don't mind a suggestion about things but let's be realistic here and take the advice from the people who have designed the thing that the effort is not worth it and there are many limitations because of trying to fit it into a small tin. If this was being made for it's own custom enclosure then sure it's very plausible but I also have other projects besides this one on the burner that I'd like to get to once this is out the door.

Spending time "trying" to please everyone who has a great idea is not worth my limited time to invest to have something that is going to be arguably more expensive and has less playtime. To be honest not all N64 and PSX games or other consoles play perfect on a CM3 so wishing for a CM3 mintyPi just to play a few extra systems is not going to happen, better with a GBZ CM3 build to be honest.
Thanks for your reply. My response:

1. I did not make the original suggestion. MintyJam != ZenoArrow.

2. I did not suggest it was an optimal solution, I suggested it was possible. The only reason I got involved in this thread is because people seemed to assume that Compute Module == CM3, which it doesn't as the CM1 was released first and is still available to buy, and would be a better fit for anyone who wanted to give it a try.

3. I didn't suggest that you personally spend your time on this. Just like multiple builders have their own Game Boy Zero designs, there's no reason that multiple builders can't have their own Minty Pi designs. Of course if someone steals your designs that's different, but if someone is willing to put the effort to design new custom PCBs to work in the Minty Pi form factor that's up to them. With that in mind, I never suggested you spend your time on this, all I was doing was pointing out that, using the CM1, someone could probably make it work.

Apis

Post by Apis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:15 am

I think this "discussion" has played out... and not for the best....... maybe it's lock time?

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Apis wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:15 am
I think this "discussion" has played out... and not for the best....... maybe it's lock time?
I'm inclined to agree with you but I think the discussion was helpful in a way. When the original MintyPi came out a lot of people pointed out that they thought that it could have been done with a desoldered and trimmed down Pi3. A lot of people making the suggestions have little to no idea of what it takes to actually build one of these. Also, we get hammered with the same suggestions / observations over and over again and the conversations consistently go nowhere.

Instead of suggestions I hope people are inspired to try to create and ask for help when they hit a stumbling block. I apologize to anyone who felt our frustration.