Setting up WiFi after boot...

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
JimmyPaul

Setting up WiFi after boot...

Post by JimmyPaul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello, I've created this account specifically to ask this question (probably will be used later :p) but anyways, how do I setup the WiFi on a mintypi after booting? I've tried to find the conf file but it isn't in boot, and I've tried a keyboard but it doesn't work. How can I set it up? *le emotional cry*

(also sorry if this has been answered, couldn't see anything about it :p)

rodocop

Re: Setting up WiFi after boot...

Post by rodocop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am

You need to add the wpa supplicant file, and the ssh file to the memory card before you put it in the pi zero. So take the pi out, throw the SD into the computer, your PC will only see the boot directory. Just drag the files there.

By the way, here is a copy of the SSH file and the wpa supplicant file. Just edit the wpa file with notepad and add your wifi credentials within the quotations. once ready, put it back in the pi and it should auto connect on next boot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14Z5ab ... gqtuXw4jUv

And yes, a keyboard won't work since the minty pi uses the pi zeros only USB port for the sound card. So unless you disconnect that you will not be able to use a keyboard. If you have a bluetooth keyboard you can probably get it to connect.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 am

I would not use Notepad to edit the supplicant file since it messes up unix linebreaks. I would use a program like Notepad++.

I have also made a supplicant generator that allows you to put in your WiFi info and download the supplicant: https://codepen.io/LilTrublMakr/full/yRGPrv/
You will want the wpa_supplicant.conf

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:24 pm

If you've already closed everything up you can sync a bluetooth keyboard and manually type your wifi credentials. I've had success with this in the past when I didn't want to open everything again.