Minty Pi v3 FaQ: Pre-Order Edition!

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
LilTrublMakr

Minty Pi v3 FaQ: Pre-Order Edition!

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:19 pm

So the v3 pre-orders have finally arrived!

Here are the links you will need:
v3 KIT PRE-ORDERS ARE CLOSED
PCB Kit from Helder - Includes the main PCB, Charging PCB, Screen PCB, screen, headphone jack (optional to put on), left and right bumper PCB, speaker, ribbon cable, and connector for the battery charging PCB to the main PCB. PRE-ORDERS END ON JANUARY 31!

2200mAh custom battery from Helder (US) | (UK) - This is a custom battery made for the Minty Pi v3.

3D Printed parts kit from Wermy - This includes everything you need for putting together the 3D printed parts. This includes the 3D printed parts, screws, and the magnet.

Custom silicone buttons from Wermy - These are custom injection molded silicone buttons made for the Minty Pi. They will be worth the money.
The Famicon buttons are back in stock!

Now for the FaQ portion:
Does it have L and R buttons?
NOPE! /sarcasm

What will I need to buy?
-Raspberry Pi Zero (W is recommended) WITHOUT HEADERS
-A Micro SD card. 8GB or greater is recommended. You don't need to go overkill on the size. I believe 16GB will suffice for most people and 32Gb for those that want every game they will never play.
-A tin. Altoids or similar sized tin.
-2 short pieces of wire for the speaker. 30 gauge silicone coated is recommended.
-A battery if you are not buying one from Helder. 4 pin cell phone battery like one for the S4 Mini. Maximum dimensions should be 51mm x 58mm x 5mm. Helder states that the Evo 3D batteries will also work. MintyJam has also found that the Huawei CS-HUY300XL should also be a feasible option as well.

Will the STLs be released for the 3D printed parts?
Yes! They will be released close to when the official build video is posted. I will link them here when posted.

What about the extra parts for the 3D printed parts like the screws and magnet? (Because I print my own!)
Wermy has stated on the Discord server that the screws and magnet will be available separately on the website.
You will need the following screws if you are sourcing them yourselves:
-3x M2 3mm
-2x M2 4mm
-4x M2 7mm
I will try to get with Wermy to get exact size for the magnet and change this if/when I find out.

What else will I need?
A soldering iron and solder (63sn/37pb or close to w/ flux). Both can be obtained for cheap. If you have never soldered before or it has been a while, it's recommended to get a practice board from OshPark to practice on before diving in to the real thing. (top board and bottom board. You will need both.)
A multimeter w/ continuity checker is also strongly recommended but not required. These can also be obtained cheaply.

Here is a list of my recommended soldering irons, solder, and multimeters.

The silicone buttons I want are sold out! When are more coming?
Helder wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:10 pm
Listen guys there are a set number of colors available once they sell out they are out till I order more for future runs but right now if it's sold out just choose another color.

I can't give any ETA on buttons being remade so just take what is available now but I know now what are the most wanted so I will order more of those in the future.
---------------------
These are the only questions I have seen thus far. I will update this post as I see more. Feel free to post in here with your questions!
Last edited by LilTrublMakr on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 18 times in total.

WoWin

Re: Minty Pi v3 FaQ: Pre-Order Edition!

Post by WoWin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:38 am

Is the display running in 60 fps in this version?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:00 am

From the Discord:

Konnor: 60fps no, is it acceptable? Definitely

Bluup: SPI can't really do true 60fps, Juj driver comes close but has some trade offs

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:13 am

Trade offs being CPU intensive so SNES and GBA become sluggish.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 pm

The alternate battery I can recommend (because I have some here and they fit fine width wise) is the HTC EVO 3D batteries. I have a bunch of these and they do fit but not length wise so a spacer will be needed maybe a 3D printed one.

Also do not believe the *Claimed* capacity on these, they are around 1400mAh and not the 2200mAh stated as I tested these myself when I first got my battery tester but feel free to doubt me and test them yourselves.

For the price and if you can not get my batteries because of your geographical location these are a cheap alternative to work ok much like the old V1&V2 batteries that were 1200mAh.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Feynamn1

Post by Feynamn1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Is it possible to change the delivery address after a preorder? I placed an order for the board and battery today, but I'm moving to a new city next month and I'm not completely sure what my new home address will be.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Send me an email once you do move as it will be almost 2 months before I ship anything then can change it when I do start shipping.

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:08 pm

For the wire, does it matter if it's solid core or stranded?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Shouldn't matter. I will be using stranded because that is what I have.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Mouse wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:08 pm
For the wire, does it matter if it's solid core or stranded?
Use stranded wire in anything that requires flexibility. Solid core wire would not be recommended because it is rigid and can break when you seat everything into the tin or have to take it out later.