mintyPi v3 Lite, would you be interested in a more DIY and cheaper build?

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.

Would you be interested in a mintyPi v3 Lite?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 29

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

mintyPi v3 Lite, would you be interested in a more DIY and cheaper build?

Post by Helder » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Wermy and I have been talking about bringing back a more DIY mintyPi that many people have asked for and I'd like to know who would be interested in it? Gone will be the Lid sensor and Magnet as well as the push button on/off (safe shutdown circuit) and the Wiring Harness and the 5v Boost circuit.

Price of course will be much less maybe around $45 or so (not sure yet as I have not done anything with price sources yet), and will require the cellphone battery but I'm also thinking of an option for a standard lipo battery so both are going to available if there is demand for it.

What will the kit come with? on board battery charging at 1A, ADS1015 for battery monitoring and will do a shutdown once battery is low enough, a slide switch for on off like the mintyPi v1/v2. PWM audio or i2s audio is still up in the air at this point in time but it all comes down to price so it's cheaper for every one.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Remember to make it a budget build for everyone we can't have the bells and whistles so requesting too many things will bring the price up which defeats the purpose of this.

Spyder

Re: mintyPi v3 Lite, would you be interested in a more DIY and cheaper build?

Post by Spyder » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:26 pm

If I didn't have hands that rivaled Shrek's I'd be all over this like white on rice. (Picture an iPhone Pro Max going from the base of my palm and only to the second knuckle on my hand *aka roughly 2" longer*)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:37 pm

I like the cheaper price tag for sure. I've only built v1and v2 minty pi's. But I've always been happy with the features of the v2. I've never needed more than that.

TehCookie

Post by TehCookie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Sounds amazing! The price was one reason I didn't buy the v3 kit.
Add a headphone jack to your MintyPi Lite: https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... 181#p81181

superman

Post by superman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:12 am

The price has been scaring me from making one. I always wanted one.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 pm

I know this thread has been open for a bit, but I wanted to add my suggestion. Could you still source and include the speaker? The speaker was one of the most difficult things to find in previous iterations. There was only one dude on eBay who had them and he jacked up the price when he started to sell a bunch.

superman

Post by superman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:01 am

Any progress on this.

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm

I would get one but I want a safe shut down feature so I don't eventually accidentally damage a SD card. But I think it's a good budget price. If it had a safe shutdown feature, then I'd definitely be down. Just don't want to ruin anymore SD cards. But will keep an eye out on this and decide which option is better for me.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 pm

qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm
I would get one but I want a safe shut down feature so I don't eventually accidentally damage a SD card. But I think it's a good budget price. If it had a safe shutdown feature, then I'd definitely be down. Just don't want to ruin anymore SD cards. But will keep an eye out on this and decide which option is better for me.
It will have a safe shutdown in a sense where it will shutdown gracefully when the battery gets low. You will have to shut down the console manually by using the menus. The hall sensor will be omitted so closing the lid will not shut it down like the current iteration.

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:18 am

dryja123 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:54 pm
qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm
It will have a safe shutdown in a sense where it will shutdown gracefully when the battery gets low. You will have to shut down the console manually by using the menus. The hall sensor will be omitted so closing the lid will not shut it down like the current iteration.
Oh ok didn't know that. But I would like to be able to have the fully drained and shut off by itself. This way I'm not messing with the battery and have a fully dead battery to charge. But if the batteries are always going to be the same price and I could always be able to buy replacements, then yeah I'll get this cheaper light version when it's available