White screen on minty pi lite

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: White screen on minty pi lite

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am

Get a linux OS like one of the virtual ones or even the bootable usb or disc kind so you can do that. Don't ask for a guide go look up videos or tutorials on how to get linux running off a usb drive.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

schadenfreude

Post by schadenfreude » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks but I actually just used Chromebook Recovery Utility to erase and re-write the SD with the official Mintypi Lite image and decided that finding games can wait. Unfortunately the screen is still white with the SD inserted. I've attached some photos of my work, maybe I'm missing something. The soldering isn't the cleanest in the world, but I still have continuity everywhere and can't find any bridges by prodding around with the multimeter. The wire looks a bit out of place but it's from a problem with continuity on that pin; I don't get so much as the white screen without it so it's definitely needed.
Attachments
0710201538.jpg
0710201538.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4488 times
0710201538b.jpg
0710201538b.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4488 times
0710201538a.jpg
0710201538a.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 4488 times

Xythatoneguyyx

Post by Xythatoneguyyx » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 am

Yeah, you could. Then follow the sudomod wiki on how to put ROMs on your SD card/mintyPi. Thats what I used to guide me through it. Also, you could message me to see what website I used for ROMs if you would rather.(I'm not sure if I can post links on here.)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Only thing I can tell you that it's soldering related or the ribbon could be damaged, it's always the soldering 95% of the time here is a picture of continuity from the Pi to the LCD board, check these points for continuity and if one does not have continuity then there is your problem.
Attachments
20200711_160021.jpg
20200711_160021.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4459 times

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Xythatoneguyyx wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 am
Yeah, you could. Then follow the sudomod wiki on how to put ROMs on your SD card/mintyPi. Thats what I used to guide me through it. Also, you could message me to see what website I used for ROMs if you would rather.(I'm not sure if I can post links on here.)
No rom links, if you want to PM him with a link that's fine but nothing publicly on the forums.

schadenfreude

Post by schadenfreude » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm

All of those points have perfect continuity according to the multimeter. One thing I could possibly note is that it was difficult to get GND to connect, and I went back and worked with it until I gave up and ran a wire. I'm assuming that I haven't damaged the anything by doing that since I only used the 350c on the iron, a handful of times for a few seconds each. The continuity seems to suggest that it's okay and soldering doesn't seem nearly as aggressive as correctly done de-soldering.

So onto the ribbon cable: How would I test it, or else how would I go about buying another?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:32 am

Man you are better off sending this to me and of course I have to charge you a minimum $20 to fix the soldering and get it all working. I had someone who said everything tested good and when I got it 1 GPIO was not good, all it takes is 1 screen GPIO to be bad and the screen does not work.

It's all or nothing and then when I was cleaning up the soldering another GPIO for the screen broke connection meaning there were weak joints there already. These posts are getting to be annoying and not to take it out on you but it's always the same issue, something in the soldering, the GND is very critical which is why in my video I always suggest you do a bunch and having the proper iron tip is critical too.

If the tip can not get in the gpio atleast half way then you are going to have a hard time with good connections, I am taking people's words for the testing but as I just said above someone said the same thing and when I get it I find it is not making a connection so I can only judge it myself by having it in front of me.

So nothing else I can say to you besides redo those points be sure 3.3v is solid as well as GND also reseat the LCD ribbon and be sure you did not cut it too short.