White screen

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Lphillimore

Re: White screen

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Orangebuster wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:57 pm
So I'm getting partial white screen?
I can see retropie in the background but the screen is still mostly white
Can you summarise what you've done so far? Lots of people having these white screen issues. As mentioned in the guide recheck / redo solder points and try realigning v screen cable etc?

I understand the frustration - i have a white screen on my current build and haven't yet resolved, but we'll get there 👍🏼

L51

Re: White Screen

Post by L51 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 am

Helder wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:04 pm
joshkohan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 pm
Hey everyone!
When I plug my screen into my board all that shows up is a bright white screen. I plugged it into my HDMI and hooked it up to the Tv and everything works smoothly. Every time I plug it into the HDMI it works but the screen refuses to show anything but white. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first time doing anything of this kind and I'm sorry to everyone and the mods if this is answered somewhere else. Thank you very much!
Did you setup the mintyPi scripts so the screen shows an image? I bet you didn't and why did you make a new thread with White Screen when there is already a thread open with the same name?

Read the written guide about half way down the page on how to setup your SD card otherwise it won't show an image on the LCD.
http://www.sudomod.com/mintypi-custom-parts-guide/
@helder. When you say setup the scripts for sd card.. isnt that already done in the premade image of retro pi wermy posted? Or am i wrong. As im getting only a white screen also but boots fine through hdmi

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:43 am

L51 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 am
Helder wrote:
joshkohan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 pm
Hey everyone!
When I plug my screen into my board all that shows up is a bright white screen. I plugged it into my HDMI and hooked it up to the Tv and everything works smoothly. Every time I plug it into the HDMI it works but the screen refuses to show anything but white. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first time doing anything of this kind and I'm sorry to everyone and the mods if this is answered somewhere else. Thank you very much!
Did you setup the mintyPi scripts so the screen shows an image? I bet you didn't and why did you make a new thread with White Screen when there is already a thread open with the same name?

Read the written guide about half way down the page on how to setup your SD card otherwise it won't show an image on the LCD.
@helder. When you say setup the scripts for sd card.. isnt that already done in the premade image of retro pi wermy posted? Or am i wrong. As im getting only a white screen also but boots fine through hdmi
Yes this is done in the premade SD image. Scripts are to update and existing SD card image to work with mintyPi

L51

Post by L51 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 am

Lphillimore wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:43 am
L51 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 am
Helder wrote:

Yes this is done in the premade SD image. Scripts are to update and existing SD card image to work with mintyPi
Ok cool thanks.. well ive been at this white screen for hours and hours... can not for the life of me get a picture.. just bright white....really frustrating

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 am

L51 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 am

Ok cool thanks.. well ive been at this white screen for hours and hours... can not for the life of me get a picture.. just bright white....really frustrating
I too have a white screen issue at the moment that im trying to work through. Have you re-imaged your SD card?

Im confident my screen and ribbon cables are now ok but not certain of continuity with pads. As Helder noted earlier he was getting a positive response on the 5v but it was still iffy so he resoldered it. Im going to relook at my connections and hopefully find the issue.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 am

If power and gnd connections are good you need to reinsert the LCD ribbon and align the pins better also double check the continuity of the pads under the 8pin ribbon connector to the PI GPIO. When you reinsert the LCD you need to restart the PI to see if there is an image.

I'm very sure people assume that if they wiggle the ribbon while it's on there will be an image once they get that sweet spot but you can only check after a reboot.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

L51

Post by L51 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 am
If power and gnd connections are good you need to reinsert the LCD ribbon and align the pins better also double check the continuity of the pads under the 8pin ribbon connector to the PI GPIO. When you reinsert the LCD you need to restart the PI to see if there is an image.

I'm very sure people assume that if they wiggle the ribbon while it's on there will be an image once they get that sweet spot but you can only check after a reboot.
So once i fix this if i have my ribbon alligned properly i should be good to go? X marks bad connections
Attachments
20170725_101222.jpg
20170725_101222.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 6128 times

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 pm

That's the logic - based on your diagram, only the 5V 'X' will stop the screen displaying :D

Difficulty I've found is that once you get a bad connection there is a fine line between fixing this and bridging a pad.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Lphillimore wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 pm
That's the logic - based on your diagram, only the 5V 'X' will stop the screen displaying :D

Difficulty I've found is that once you get a bad connection there is a fine line between fixing this and bridging a pad.
Depends on your solder and iron, I have no issues at all but I have my technique which might differ from yours.

I put the iron tip in the GPIO then I add some solder and I see it's above the GPIO rim then hold it there for 2-3 seconds and pull out quickly, once I do I see the solder sink into the GPIO so I know it's an almost perfect connection that way and then test.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

L51

Post by L51 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 am

Helder wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:50 am

Ok so i fixed all loints and have continuity between everyting.. but when i pluf in a power source to test i get a reading from 5v gpio on the pi to the vcc input anf the input ground. Is that meant to happen?