[Not Solved]Closing the tin "sticks"

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
J-Malice

[Not Solved]Closing the tin "sticks"

Post by J-Malice » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 pm

I didn't know where to post this but it seemed appropriate here. I have my minty pi assembled but I have a problem opening it. When I close it there is no issue really. When I try to open it the left side sticks a bit and is extremely hard to open. So hard that I've actually bent the hinge a little. At first I thought maybe the left side was sitting too high and maybe had wires underneath pushing the pcb and face plate up too high.

But that was not the case. When I opened it up there was nothing in the way. I put it back down and it seemed slightly lower but the issue persisted. Has anyone encountered this issue before? If so, how did you deal with it?
Last edited by J-Malice on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Closing the tin "sticks"

Post by Helder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Check the hinges on the tin itself for an issue and the other is either the bezel or screen back piece being not properly centered or it has a little extra plastic on the edges. Either way you might need to sand a bit of the bezel around where it sticks, also post pictures.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

J-Malice

Re: Closing the tin "sticks"

Post by J-Malice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 am

Found the issue. The edge of the tin was slightly bent (don't know when that happened?) near the 3d printed hinge. It was causing the 3d printed hinge to get stuck under the bent part when it closed fully and putting strain on the pi during opening and closing. Thanks for the reply though!

Wrong wrong wrong. I bent the tin so it wouldn't touch and I am still having this issue. I thought, "hey, maybe because I didn't use VHB tape it isn't strong enough to hold against the hinge pulling." Since I used the 2mm tape that is good for the edge of a gameboy zero build. It is thin strips but strong and I used a ton of it. Nope, replaced it with VHB tape and it is currently stuck. Going to pry it open and try sanding the edges of the 3d printed part. If that also fails, I'll post some pictures.

Now I have to question, am I inept or the only person who has run into this issue?

J-Malice

Re: [Not Solved]Closing the tin "sticks"

Post by J-Malice » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 pm

And as a seemingly final update to this. The pressure of opening it against it "sticking" has now stripped the holes where the screws go in. Mainly the one right next to the 3d hinge. Pretty sad but I expected my first one of these to have some issues. I still don't know what started this issue but without the ability for the screw to stay in the hole then it is pretty hard to troubleshoot. Going to try dropping a dallop of hot glue into the hole and then putting the screw in and holding down. Gonna pray that it gives it enough hold to resist the hinge yanking on it.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:46 pm

Can you tell us exactly which VHB tape you used? I made the mistake of ordering a different (cheaper) model of the 3M VHB tape than what Wermy recommended. The difference? 0.3mm in thickness means I couldn't close the case.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 pm

The one I initially used want vhb tape at all. It was super thin tape meant for the glass covert if a gbz. It stuck more than when I used vhb tape. But I bought the one recommended by wermy.