Screen flickering or completely turning off at different angles

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Screen flickering or completely turning off at different angles

Post by Helder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 am

It's likely a bad ribbon cable since you say at certain angles it stops working or it could be the ribbon connector might need a reflow in case one of the pins has an unseen broken connection. Do both connectors if possible also do a continuity test from controller test pads under the ribbon connector to the ones on the LCD board.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Let me test continuity. Do you have any tips on reflowing? I am afraid of bridging.

Here are some more observations - if I prop the screen up at the right angle and boot up like that, I can get a proper display and everything is fine. If I am wrong in the initial angle, I'll have no display and if i move it to the right angle, I will have a white screen displayed (no image, just white with backlight on). Once you get to this point, you can't go "correct it" by changing angles.

Also, when I press Y in Retropie, it adds a game to Favorites. But when I press Y again, it kicks me out to the command-line console, instead of removing from favorites. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'll post this as a new issue.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 pm

If any one of the SPI screen wires has a broken connection during boot up or during operation this is what happens. I can send you another ribbon but try a reflow first, use flux to help reflow the pins.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Is the ribbon cable soldered on both ends (screen and board)? And thanks for the tips, I'll try to reflow soon.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:45 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Is the ribbon cable soldered on both ends (screen and board)? And thanks for the tips, I'll try to reflow soon.
The ribbon will make a connection on both sides but you only need a solid connection on one side for it to work. I soldered up 3 of these screens last night and all you need to do is rest the iron for a quick second on one of the copper legs of the ribbon connector. The solder will flow up from the board and onto the leg of the ribbon.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Woah we are talking about different things here, I'm talking about the ribbon connecting the Controller and LCD not the LCD Ribbon itself since that wouldn't be moving.

Look Here for reference:

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Good save! I was thinking that you were talking about the physical lcd ribbon because I had one that had a poor connection.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 am

Oh thank goodness to Helder for posting the image. I thought we were talking about the ribbon on the screen and screen board itself. I reflowed both pin connections to the best of my ability and am afraid I may have screwed something up. Nothing looks bridged under a magnifying glass but I get no image now and I can't seem to get continuity when using the test pads for the first 3-4 points. I am going to measure them all tomorrow and try again but I think that in opening up the project to fix my A button (which was successful), I inadvertently may have tweaked the ribbon connection and attempts to fix it may have just killed it.

I am going to try a few more tries to salvage it but this might be the end of the road for me.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Send it to me the whole build (Pcbs and Pi) and I'll fix it for a fee of course. If interested PM me.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Good news!
20180111_194413.jpg
20180111_194413.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 4968 times
The culprit was a bad ribbon.