Minty Pi Audio issues

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Sushi

Minty Pi Audio issues

Post by Sushi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:52 pm

I assembled my MintyPi 2 days ago, and it was fine to begin with. Now, sound has stopped working. My soldering is also fine (take my word for it, I've done a lot of soldering in the past. I also don't have my camera on me :( ). I've done continuity testing and found that my data positive on the pi seems to be shorted to ground. This is inexplicable because it worked fine a day ago and the port is entirely clean. I don't know if that's normal or not, but that's my main suspect at the moment. Any thoughts?

I get this error:
AudioManager Error - Unable to open SDL audio: ALSA: couldn't open audio devices: Device or resource busy
Last edited by Sushi on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sushi

Re: Minty Pi USB issues

Post by Sushi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Update - I've tried:
-Swapping the pi
-Swapping the sound cards (twice)

I'm still getting the same error. I know the device is recognized somehow because if I wire it improperly, the splashscreens don't show up on boot.

Edit:
I'm not going to bump the thread any more so here's another update:

It now makes a really loud buzz. It's not noise. I have no idea what the problem with this damned thing is.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Minty Pi Audio issues

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 am

How are you wiring the audio output from the soundcard? I've had a bad trace from the audio pads under the pcb near the battery monitor chip to the top traces where the speaker pads are.

I would test a speaker to the sound card directly to rule a bad trace.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 am

I'm not home, so I can't check right now, but I don't think there's a bad trace. When I turn on the console, after a minute or so of silence, it will output a really loud monotone buzz. There was a point at which it started working, but when I rebooted it it began buzzing again. I'm considering reformatting the SD card when I get home because it seems more software than hardware.

makirules

Post by makirules » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am

I am having the same issue, but the sound works at first, then gets scratchy, then cuts off. Then after 10-15 seconds or so (could be a bit longer), the sound comes back on and is fine. It then does it all over again. When it is off, I can go to the audio portion of the menu, and I get the same error that Sushi gets. It could very well be my soldering job. Just wondering if there was ever a solution to this. I was thinking of reformatting the SD card too.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Sounds like a power issue and or solder job, have pictures of the solder job?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.