A button not working

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
PianoHook

A button not working

Post by PianoHook » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:51 pm

On my build, everything works except the A button. The A gpio pin has continuity with the test pad, but the A button still doesn't work. I've heard things about a dead pin but I don't know how to change the pin or what to change it to.

rodocop

Re: A button not working

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 am

If you do have continuity there may be an issue with the GPIO... So you can change it to many different pins on the pi. If you look here you can see a diagram of the pi. I typically stick with the green pins. Obviously you'll need to use one that is not used in the minty pi.

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

If you change something though, you will need to adjust the retrogame file on /boot to reflect the new GPIO number (Use the GPIO/BCM number, not the physical number). There will be a list of inputs inside the file, with associated GPIO's, just change the A one.

As for the minty pi script, you will need to also adjust the MintyCombo.py (located at /home/pi/MintyComboScript/) to reflect the change. Since the A button is used for the battery toggle. You would need to change this line to whatever new GPIO is used:

monitorBtn = Button(21) --> change 21 to the GPIO number (remember not to use the physical pin number)

You will likely also need to remap the controls in emulationstation as well.

PianoHook

Post by PianoHook » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 am

I'm sorry. But could you elaborate a bit more? I'm very new to this. How do I change what pin the button goes to? And I cant find /home/pi/MintyComboScript/. What pin do I put the A button on? All the open pins seem to be ground pins. Again I'm sorry for how inexperienced I am.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am

PianoHook wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 am
I'm sorry. But could you elaborate a bit more? I'm very new to this. How do I change what pin the button goes to? And I cant find /home/pi/MintyComboScript/. What pin do I put the A button on? All the open pins seem to be ground pins. Again I'm sorry for how inexperienced I am.
like I said before, if you change the GPIO, you will need to use SSH to access the pi, and then go to /boot/retrogame.cfg. open that file and change the value after A, it will show a GPIO/BCM number, change that to the new one you choose.

As for the where to put the A button, reference your minty pi board, and look at all the the pins used every pin used is labelled on the board. Then look at the diagram in the link I provided. Just use one that is not used by the minty pi, and is not ground.

If you can't find /home/pi/MintyComboScript/MintyCombo.py, then maybe it's in another location, I thought that is where it was, but maybe not.

You will also need to physically solder a jumper wire from the new GPIO you choose, to the 'A' button test pad as well.

Hopefully that helps clear things up a bit.

PianoHook

Post by PianoHook » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 am

Alright. So I changed retrogame.cfg and soldered the test pad to the new gpio. It still doesnt work. What do i do next?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:23 pm

PianoHook wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:50 am
Alright. So I changed retrogame.cfg and soldered the test pad to the new gpio. It still doesnt work. What do i do next?
did you remap the controls in emulation station after? It should just work...did you make sure to use the BCM/GPIO number, not the physical pin number?, which GPIO did you use by the way?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:27 pm

any pics of the wiring etc???

PianoHook

Post by PianoHook » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am

I think I did the image right. how do I remap the controls in emulation station? I am sorry this is so difficult. Like I said, I am very new to this.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:10 pm

First, I don't see an image.

Actually it will be a little tricky without the use of the 'a' button. Since you will need that to actually navigate to the controller remap menu.

Press start to see a menu, there will be a configure controller option, just follow the instructions. But...without the use of the 'a' button you will not be able to get there.

You can try to SSH into the pi and find and open this file /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Once inside you will see some lines like this, the things in quotes will be different, but you can at least see if and what 'a' is mapped to. In most cases it will be a keyboard stroke.

# input_player1_a = "x"
# input_player1_b = "z"
# input_player1_y = "a"
# input_player1_x = "s"
# input_player1_start = "enter"
# input_player1_select = "rshift"
# input_player1_l = "q"
# input_player1_r = "w"
# input_player1_left = "left"
# input_player1_right = "right"
# input_player1_up = "up"
# input_player1_down = "down"

PianoHook

Post by PianoHook » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:06 pm

You have to open the image in a new tab. And what is SSH? Isee that a lot and i dont know what it is. I've tried doing a bit of research and all I found was an alternate way to look at the contents of the sd card. And you keep telling me about things located at /home/pi/MintyComboScript/MintyCombo.py, and /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and when i put the sd card into my computer the only folders I have are mintypi and overlays. Will SSH let me see folders and files I otherwise couldnt see?