Gngeopi Help Needed (Neo Geo emulator)

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
zetazot

Gngeopi Help Needed (Neo Geo emulator)

Post by zetazot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 am

Before I dive down the rabbit hole to figure this out, I thought I would reach out to the community to see if anybody had a answer. When it comes to the Linux back end of retroarch and retropie, I know enough to get myself in trouble.

When using the stock emulators on my mintypi I keep getting the error below or just a black screen with certain ROMs:

MVS Slot Check
Ver 2.30 00/04/25
M1 ROM Error

With the ROMs that show the error, there's no sound. From what I've been able to find out online, this error is due to SNK boards doing a security check with certain carts. It was done to combat counterfeit boards or something... I mentioned this in a Facebook group and it was suggested that I try the gngeopi emulator. I downloaded it and it fired up one of my problem ROMs with out the error and there was sound! Progress!

Then the next problem struck... none of the mintypi buttons work. Can somebody point me in the right direction for an idiot-proof tutorial for configuring the controller buttons to work with the emulator? Any help, tips, and/or motivational mocking is appreciated.

Thanks!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Gngeopi Help Needed (Neo Geo emulator)

Post by Helder » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:33 am

What is the emulator based off of? if it's the PiFBA I posted a config file with the controls if it's not post your config file for the emulator and I will have a look.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Helder, you are way too fast in your relies!

Its not based on PiFBA that I can tell and I'm already using that config file, but I get the slot errors with PiFBA.

The config file is called gngeorc. Its located at /home/pi/.gngeo/gngeorc

The text it contains is as follows:

p1control A=K122,B=K120,C=K97,D=K115,START=K49,COIN=K51,UP=K273,DOWN=K274,LEFT=$
p2control A=K108,B=K59,C=K111,D=K112,START=K50,COIN=K52,UP=K264,DOWN=K261,LEFT=$

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 am

Sorry, I ddin't get all of it..

p1control A=K122,B=K120,C=K97,D=K115,START=K49,COIN=K51,UP=K273,DOWN=K274,LEFT=K276,RIGHT=K275,MENU=K27
p2control A=K108,B=K59,C=K111,D=K112,START=K50,COIN=K52,UP=K264,DOWN=K261,LEFT=K260,RIGHT=K262,MENU=K27

zetazot

Post by zetazot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:06 am

Helder,

I used your fba2x.cfg file as a Rosetta Stone. It was perfect! It solved my problem. I used your key values and plugged them into the gngeo config file. I did this all via the Terminal on my Mac I'm pretty pleased with myself. I learned something new this morning.

I ended up using this:
p1controlA=K308,B=K306,C=K120,D=K122,START=K13,COIN=K32,UP=K273,DOWN=K274,LEFT=K276,RIGHT=K275,MENU=K115
p2control A=K108,B=K59,C=K111,D=K112,START=K50,COIN=K52,UP=K264,DOWN=K261,LEFT=K260,RIGHT=K262,MENU=K27

I didn't bother with the player 2 controls. I also mapped the right trigger button to bring up the in-game menu of the emulator. You need to use this to quit out of the game since the normal Start/Select combo doesn't work. Metal Slug 4 doesn't give a slot error and the lag in Last Blade 2 is gone with this emulator so I'm super happy.

Thanks for your quick reply and the work you did on the pifba config file. It was exactly what I needed. Again you pointed me in the right direction to fix my problem! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Neo Geo games to mess with! :)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm

the mintyPi has a secret combo to exit from menu's and emulators that start&select doesn't work. Hold Select and the B button to initiate an ESCAPE button press.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.