Minty Pi no Sound

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
skeletalpeacock

Minty Pi no Sound

Post by skeletalpeacock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Well, I'm totally stumped.

I've been through 3 sound cards, 3 speakers, 2 SD cards, 3 re-images, and I've redone every single wire related to sound.

A few things aren't clear to me. How exactly are the left and right sides of the sound card supposed to be bridged? Is it directly left to right below where it says C1 and C2? Or is it diagonal? It seems to be a mix of both between the guide video and some other posters. Does this mean it just doesn't matter?

I started by using the new easy routing ports for the speaker wires and the audio in and audio ground ports, and eventually moved to copying exactly what Wermy does in the video when he runs the speaker wires directly to the card

I have read through all of the other posts with similar issues. And I have checked for continuity all over. Notably, I get 8.5 instead of 0.8 with a meter set to 500 ACV when I test the L/R speaker wires on the sound card. Is this normal? I feel like this should be at zero, however I have gotten this reading for all 3 speakers and sound cards. And I have metered the white and green wires many times to check for bridges to each other and ground holes at the bottom of the pi board.

Totally stumped and way too many hours into this now. Who can help? I'm about ready to give up on sound. Here are my build pictures

https://imgur.com/a/GGiiKue

Thanks modders :)

VeteranGamer

Re: Minty Pi no Sound

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 am

skeletalpeacock wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 pm
Well, I'm totally stumped.

I've been through 3 sound cards, 3 speakers, 2 SD cards, 3 re-images, and I've redone every single wire related to sound.

Totally stumped and way too many hours into this now. Who can help? I'm about ready to give up on sound. Here are my build pictures

https://imgur.com/a/GGiiKue

Thanks modders :)

just a quick observation....
and i could be wrong on this, but have you been wiring up the sound card properly.....
(i'm also not sure/certain if the wiring has changed since i built mine)

taken from your images

taken from Wermy build images

try to match the wiring the way Wermy has it.....
(unless its changed, then just ignore what i've just said)

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 am

Agree with Veteran. The wiring on your soundcard is incorrect. Fix that as shown and re-test. 😎

The data pads on your pi seem a bit ropey too and hard to say if damaged. Clean them up and resolder the wires taking care to leave the visible gap between them. Have you bridged to the outer anchor point on right side?

skeletalpeacock

Post by skeletalpeacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks for the feedback.

How to bridge the soundcard is one thing I specifically asked about. If you look at Wermy's updated parts youtube guide, he actually bridges it as seen in my photos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MbTwfdrwJI&t=12m39s

This can also be seen in the written guide. https://www.sudomod.com/mintypi-updated ... are-guide/
https://www.sudomod.com/wp-content/uplo ... .54.20.jpg

The diagonal bridge comes from the original guide.

For the record, I have tried the diagonal bridge and the bridge seen in my photos and the updated guides for each sound card including this one to no avail, but I can switch back to diagonal again.

Lphillimore, can you tell me which data pads you mean? Is it the ones at the top near the anchor ports with the green and blue wires?
Thanks for answering! I meter no continuities there, but these ports seem to be the root of other peoples mintypi sound problems which makes me think I'm wrong.

skeletalpeacock

Post by skeletalpeacock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am

Redid everything as suggested and still no sound.

This looks to be an issue for a lot of people in the past week or so based on the posts. I'm beginning to consider swapping out the pi zero w and starting over from scratch, with the assumption that it has bridges that I can't find on the neutral grounds and the pads.

Anybody else have suggestions before I do that, and are we sure it isn't software related?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 am

skeletalpeacock wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am
Redid everything as suggested and still no sound.

This looks to be an issue for a lot of people in the past week or so based on the posts. I'm beginning to consider swapping out the pi zero w and starting over from scratch, with the assumption that it has bridges that I can't find on the neutral grounds and the pads.

Anybody else have suggestions before I do that, and are we sure it isn't software related?
Can you post the latest pics of your setup?

skeletalpeacock

Post by skeletalpeacock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:08 pm

My latest setup is I broke almost very pad off of the minty pi board trying to desolder it from the zero W.

https://i.imgur.com/cYfd6P2.jpeg

I had 4 more configurations where I could boot but still got no sound, and had issues that I'd seen in many other sound threads such as having the volume level reset to zero when you turn it up in the menu, not even a peep on the splash screen, and not detecting the usb card when typing lusb in an SSH terminal. But I was certain I had power to the sound card. I voltmetered it to death. That left grounded speaker ports above the micro usb port on the pi as the culprit.

I will make a minty pi frankenstein with a new pi and report back.

skeletalpeacock

Post by skeletalpeacock » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Minty pi frankenstein is a success. I bridged evrything and have it done.

Thanks for the help!

For the record, if you take your soundcard fully assembled, upright, and with the USB pins, facing towards you, the proper bridge wiring for it is it the lower left and middle right pin.