Can't get it "UP" (sorry, too punny)

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
qicflair

Can't get it "UP" (sorry, too punny)

Post by qicflair » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 pm

New Problem: I can't seem to get the "UP" button to function.

I've tried reflowing the GPIO pin. I added a pin connector directly into the pin, soldered it and added a jumper directly to the up test lead. Passes continuity tests every time, but no response on any conductive pad I have access to. I even dragged a wire across the contact on the PCB on each of the areas for the buttons: works for everything but "Up".

I even re-downloaded and flashed a new copy of the mintypi retropie image, but still the same result.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

rodocop

Re: Can't get it "UP" (sorry, too punny)

Post by rodocop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:55 am

May be a dead GPIO?

You could solder the jumper for up to an unused GPIO. You will need to adjust the retrogame file in the boot directory on the SD card to reflect this change as well.

Just google a pi zero pinout and find a pin that is not used by the minty, and is not ground or power. Any should be fine. And remember when editing the retrogame file you will need to use the BCM/GPIO number, not the physical pin number. Once done, you will likely need to remap the controls in emulationstation as well.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:35 pm

See if the GPIO is grounded, check continuity to any GND to see if it has continuity if not then do what rodocop suggested.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

qicflair

Post by qicflair » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Helder wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:35 pm
See if the GPIO is grounded, check continuity to any GND to see if it has continuity if not then do what rodocop suggested.
I think you hit the nail on the head again: up doesn't appear to be grounded.

So my question is, How can I go about fixing this?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Hmm does or doesn't? If it's grounded then you likely need to add some flux in between the Pi gpio and pcb and insert a clean iron tip into the GPIO to extract extra solder in there, repeat a few times always cleaning the tip. You can also use solder braid to help suck up the solder and then see if that helped break the GND connection.

The other issue that likely arose is that you punctured the the pcb and hit a GND plane which is all over the pcb when you inserted the iron tip or that jumper wire.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

qicflair

Post by qicflair » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 am

It looks like i’m not getting ground to the up button, even though everything else had ground. Feel kinda stuck at the moment where the only option could be to separate the pcb and the pi and try again.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:19 am

That's extreme, do what Rodocop suggested.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Yeah. Try another gpio before you resort to taking the pi off. Its super simple.

Once you solder the wire open up the terminal via ssh. (I use putty).

Type

Sudo nano /boot/retrogame.cfg

This will open that file. Simply change the numeric value beside "up" with the new gpio number you used.

Ctrl + X to close, then hit Y to save.

Type

Sudo reboot.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 am

Also, one other thing to note, if you switch the up button to a new GPIO you'll also need to edit the combo script, since up is used to control the brightness toggles. See below:

sudo nano /home/pi/MintyComboScript/MintyCombo.py (this is case sensitive)

once open scroll to this line:
brightnessUpBtn = Button(4)

Change the (4) to whatever the new GPIO is.

Ctrl + x, then y

sudo reboot

done.