Help building mintyPi

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
SS13SHOCK

Help building mintyPi

Post by SS13SHOCK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:42 pm

New here looking to get into building mintyPi but not sure where to start. any suggestions? Questions I would also like addressed ITT are where do I get the parts? How much will it cost? and any tips from the more adept would be nice too.

LilTrublMakr

Re: Help building mintyPi

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm

The wiki page would be a good place to start: http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php/MintyPi
I would also recommend watching the YouTube videos to really know what you are getting into: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux9lXBexw0o

Overall, I would wait a little bit to build one. Helder is close to releasing a v3 controller within the next couple of months. Wermy also has a new faceplate in the works. In saying that, I think the rest of the parts listed in the wiki page will be the same, but I am not positive on that. I asked for clarification on that in this thread so I would keep an eye on that.

Cost depends on what you are aiming for and what you have. I plan on making 3-4 of them (one for myself, help my girlfriends kids (2) make one for themselves, and maybe make one for a friend) so I would be looking at bulk parts which would make parts cheaper overall than buying individual ones. From an eyeball look, I would say about $100-$125 for a single setup. The problem is mostly that it is really hard to come by a controller board (like Helders). Though I have heard that there is a way to 'make your own', I have not seen any evidence of it. Just another reason to wait until Helder gets v3 out.

I am in no way trying to discourage you from trying to source parts now. A couple of hardware things that will be definite is the tin and Raspberry Pi Zero W. A couple other things you can get are the wires, tape, thermal pad if you opt to get one, and tools like soldering iron and stuff.

I look forward to seeing what you create!

SS13SHOCK

Post by SS13SHOCK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Yeah I was looking at some of the supplies I have a blank Altoids tin and a plotter for making vinyl wrap and stickers so when I do make it, it's going to look nice. also with the price, it's not that bad because it will only cost that much the first time you build it, a lot of the parts like the tape and wires can be used for future builds. I wanted to make my wife one as well, which adds another question. Is there multi-player capability? It would be nice to play Pokemon yellow with my wife.

SS13SHOCK

Post by SS13SHOCK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Also adding to that if I can get the dimensions to the face plate I was thinking it would look cool if I made one out of wood.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Not sure about the multiplayer, I have not seen any mention about it. My guess would be no since there isn't a way to connect cables between units. The microUSB that is exposed is for power only if I understand correctly. Unless there is a way to do it over WiFi...

I am not sure about the dimensions of the face plate as I do not have one or a tin yet. My guess is that if you have a program that can read the 3D print file, it would have the dimensions in there or you could ask someone that has one to measure theirs for you. I think a wood face would look good!

SS13SHOCK

Post by SS13SHOCK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah I'm really looking forward to building one, I'm hoping to build it before I go on deployment, I'm in the Navy and I feel like this would be a good source of entertainment on the ship, also adding that my wife is getting me a 3D printer for my birthday which is next month so that will help with the process.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:02 pm

So some good information has been brought up in my topic regarding parts. It looks like the best thing to do is wait on buying anything more than the Raspberry Pi and an 8 GB or 16 GB mini sd card. I know, easier said than done. But it sounds like it will be well worth the wait.

As for multiplayer, I asked on discord and it looks like local multiplayer is doable. P2 could use a bluetooth controller. Helder also replied with
or something else in the new v3 hint hint
Soooooo... There's that.

SS13SHOCK

Post by SS13SHOCK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Yeah I spent some time on the discord I'm going to wait until V3.