V3 screen issues. How to fix them!

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
LilTrublMakr

V3 screen issues. How to fix them!

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:30 am

Just doing a little write up of the v3 screen issues.

Cause: The PCB maker that Helder used didn't set up their machines correctly and the ribbon cable of the screen is not making full contact with the pads on the screen PCB. This is causing dark spots on the bottom of the screen and possibly even the screen not working at all.

Fix: It is actually pretty easy to fix this issue, All you need to do is very carefully separate the screen from the board while leaving the ribbon cable attached, and reflow the ribbon with flux. It would be easiest to get a flux pen if you do not have one already. Just add a little bit of flux and run your tip over each of the ribbon connections.

This may take a few tries to get working properly. If using just flux isn't working, try adding a little bit of new solder to the pins.

Helder made a video on his Instagram about the issue and how to fix it. It can be viewed here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4pEUrF3C5/

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: V3 screen issues. How to fix them!

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 am

Nice repost, I'm going to post here a bunch things people are having issues with. First and foremost soldering problems between the PI and controller pcb are 75% of all problems.

People always assume the soldering is perfect but a few threads down the issue was bad solder joint. I fixed a setup recently (yesterday) for a customer who had no audio or power from the battery.

The problem? Bad solder joint on the 5v GPIO which powers audio and the whole pi off of battery power. And the PI soldering "looked" good but doing s continuity test said otherwise.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:41 am

The continuity test is huge! That cannot be stressed enough. My pi was soldered to the board perfectly in my opinion, but the continuity test proved otherwise. Always do the continuity test!

nilus2k

Post by nilus2k » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Well I started with a black screen. First reflow(and some double checking my continuity) and I got a screen with a large dark section. Second reflow with a bit of solder and I’m down to a small black area towards the bottom. So I figure one more reflow and I’ll have it.

Thanks for all the help. I’ve done other DYI electronic projects like this and the creators have not been that helpful. I appreciate you letting people know about issues and give us practical fixes.

Edit: After several more reflow attempts I got it to be just a small black spot at the bottom. I am ready to give up on it honestly. It's only noticeable when the screen is complete white and I don't see it being a problem when games run on it. I may give it one more try after I get the tin all setup.

Just a thought for you guys. It may be worth a short Youtube video alerting people of the issue and the fix. No everyone uses Instagram and it may be a better way to help get the word out.

majora

Post by majora » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:13 pm

I have the same problem, is there any way the send mine back and order a new one?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:00 pm

You can send it back to Helder or myself.

I am helping repair the parts that have been messed up by the PCB fab since Helder is getting all of the issues fixed before sending out more kits and also repairing parts on top of his normal life. Just trying to relieve the strain on him a little bit. I am sure Helder will say that it is ok to send stuff to me if someone asks.

So if you do have me repair the boards, I will need the whole kit (with the pi soldered on) so I can test everything and make sure it all works since I don't have a kit available to test with. I have the chips on order and they are on their way from China. They should be in in a week or two for me to replace the dualfet.

Ultimately, the option is yours.

majora

Post by majora » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:00 pm
You can send it back to Helder or myself.

I am helping repair the parts that have been messed up by the PCB fab since Helder is getting all of the issues fixed before sending out more kits and also repairing parts on top of his normal life. Just trying to relieve the strain on him a little bit. I am sure Helder will say that it is ok to send stuff to me if someone asks.

So if you do have me repair the boards, I will need the whole kit (with the pi soldered on) so I can test everything and make sure it all works since I don't have a kit available to test with. I have the chips on order and they are on their way from China. They should be in in a week or two for me to replace the dualfet.

Ultimately, the option is yours.
mainly i wanted to send the screen back so ether i could use it or someone else could insted of me just ordering a new screen and haveing a falty extra, is there a way to just order a new screen with nothing else?? my parents won't let me send it to someone i dont know anything diffinitive about

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 am

Understandable. You could try fixing it yourself though. If you have flux, it would make it a lot easier. I have a better explanation on how to fix it in the other post.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Screen Issues:

Instagram Posts: Post 1, Post 2.

If your screen is not showing anything, showing up white, or has dark spots on the screen, you need to reflow the ribbon cable.

Cause: The PCB maker that Helder used didn't set up their machines correctly and the ribbon cable of the screen is not making full contact with the pads on the screen PCB. This is causing dark spots on the bottom of the screen and possibly even the screen not working at all.

Fix: It is actually pretty easy to fix this issue, All you need to do is very carefully separate the screen from the board while leaving the ribbon cable attached, and reflow the ribbon with flux. It would be easiest to get a flux pen if you do not have one already. Just add a little bit of flux and run your tip over each of the ribbon connections.

My recommendations are as follows:
1. Use something thin like a guitar pick to separate the screen from the PCB. TAKE YOUR TIME! Use the pick on the 3 sides that does not have the ribbon.
2. Use lots of flux. Flux is your friend.
3. Put some fresh solder on the tip of your iron every couple of pins. You don't need much.
4. Work from the pad of the PCB and SLOWLY work your way up to the pin of the ribbon cable.
5. TAKE YOUR TIME!

If you need a video tutorial, there is one on the 3rd slide of this Instagram post.

If you do not feel comfortable fixing any of these issues, get in touch with Helder or myself and send the parts to one of us and we will fix the problem(s).
Really, you would have to do this process anyways to replace the screen so it won't hurt to try it before ordering a new screen. Unless I am misunderstanding and you have tried to do this and broke the screen?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 am

majora wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm
mainly i wanted to send the screen back so ether i could use it or someone else could insted of me just ordering a new screen and haveing a falty extra, is there a way to just order a new screen with nothing else?? my parents won't let me send it to someone i dont know anything diffinitive about
Send it back to me in a box or something protective not an envelope so the LCD is not damaged and I'll fix it. If the LCD arrives damaged as in cracked or you damaged it in an attempt to fix it then I will not give you a freebie you will have to pay for a new LCD.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

majora

Post by majora » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:12 am

Helder wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 am
majora wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm
Send it back to me in a box or something protective not an envelope so the LCD is not damaged and I'll fix it. If the LCD arrives damaged as in cracked or you damaged it in an attempt to fix it then I will not give you a freebie you will have to pay for a new LCD.
Ok, what address should i send it to? and i haven't messed with it at all