Booting Issues

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Matrotic

Booting Issues

Post by Matrotic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am

My mintyPi seems to be boot looping. When I turn it on it goes white>black>text>white>black>retroPi>white>black>text. When in this state the magnet will not shut it off. And I have tried reformatting and flashing the image a few times. The obvious question is does anyone know how to fix this? My secondary question is what format should I be using on the SD card should I be using?

Edit: I should add that it continues in a similar sequence for much longer than I stated.

dryja123

Re: Booting Issues

Post by dryja123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:19 pm

How many times did it boot loop? The first time you power on the Pi it will boot twice.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Mine is actually doing the same unless I have it plugged in.

Matrotic

Post by Matrotic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Dryja It looped several times. Like 10+ times.

Lil so are you saying when it is plugged into the power supply instead of the battery it works?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 am

I wonder if it has something to do with Helders latest IG post:
Second while we were play testing we discovered there was a power issue that would not allow the battery to fully discharge cutting play time short. Turns out the wiring harness was pictured in picture 3 can't handle the amps from the battery to power the boost chip once it's lower than 3.5v.
I let mine fully charge and now it will boot up just fine.

Matrotic

Post by Matrotic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am

I pluged mine in and I am not getting a charging indicator. Which to me would mean its fully charged. Ill let it sit there a few hours and see how it goes. Thanks!

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Aight, it turns out that it is not the wiring harness but one of the chips on the power board:
So the whole power issue was not the cables on the harness it was the wrong dualfet that has a higher voltage cutout. What does this mean?
I'm sending out fixed power boards to the early orders shipped with correct chip and have this fixed for the orders to be shipped when fixed LCDs arrive. This is the last issue resolved and I apologize for all the confusion.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFTK6OFfga/

CatCannon9

Post by CatCannon9 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:57 am

I was having a similar issue with the almost boot loop. I tried charging the battery all the way and it's just makeing the screen flash white before the whole system immediately shuts off.

Favorite tank is the Super Pershing.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 am

Yeah, one of the chips on the power board is wrong which is why a bunch of us are having these issues. Best way to know if it is the power board is to plug directly in to the pi with that board disconnected and see if it boots properly.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:29 am

When the system is turned on the TX GPIO 14 goes high and keeps the power on. If you have a weak solder joint on that GPIO it might not be delivering power and might need a reflow.

The TX pin can get damaged by a short or a power failure as has happened to my test setup then the system will not stay on at all. No way to fix it as it's internally damaged on the PI. I haven't had any time to test other pins as useable for this purpose as of lately.

Test the GPIO 14 or the TX test pad to be sure it has 3.28v
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.