Mintypi v3 sound

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
anoldwiseman

Mintypi v3 sound

Post by anoldwiseman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 am

The first time I tried testing that the Mintypi v3 worked the sound came on and everything worked fine. I then took the screen off to fix the dark spots and when I plugged it in the second time all I heard from the speaker was this weird crackling noise. Is this an issue with the speaker or something else?
Last edited by anoldwiseman on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joeblowv1

Re: Mintypi v3 sound

Post by Joeblowv1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm

I haven't been able to get sound from the headphone jack or the speaker at all yet.

Just wondering what it could be? Would have to doublecheck the speaker, and the "headphone" I was using was actually an old headset from the nintendo ds which may require the extra pins off the side to get audio? Will have to re-test everything and report back, but it looks like I'm not the only one with audio issues

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Had someone with a sound issue too, he had to reflow the 5V pins on the sound chip.

To test that 5V pads are soldered properly use this image for reference for a continuity test. (red line)
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

anoldwiseman

Post by anoldwiseman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Ok, so I tried testing the continuity between those pads and got continuity. Just to be safe I tried to reflow the chip. Is there any other fix that I could try applying.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:22 am

Only thing I can recommend is the be sure 5v is going to the audio chip, maybe reflow the chip with some hot air or use flux and a clean tipped iron. Other thing to test are the first 3 test points on the left side of the PCB have proper continuity as those are for audio.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

anoldwiseman

Post by anoldwiseman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:28 pm

So I've tried now to reflow the chip multiple times I've tested for continuity and nothing has worked. I don't know what to do. Will, I just have no sound or can anyone think of anything else to try.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Send me it with a note with the issue and I'll have a look.