heating issues?

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
eggbowl

heating issues?

Post by eggbowl » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:03 pm

I've put together my mintypi v3 almost completely, but before i screwed everything together, i noticed that the pi was getting very hot. hot enough to warp the PLA printed parts. i can't imagine that that's normal or safe, especially since the cpu where it is hottest goes directly over the battery. what could be causing this problem? bad pi? bad connections? (I've double checked all test pads and they have good continuity so probably not?) something else? I really don't know what's causing it.
a few things to note, i'm still running off of wall power, and my screen can get a bit flickery at times, displaying random colored lines or boxes. sound is fine. idk if that's relevant but doesn't hurt to add it.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: heating issues?

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 am

The pi is overclocked in the image used, maybe try turning it off or try running off of the battery to see if there's a difference. The pi will get hit but not enough to warp the PLA.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

diko_d

Post by diko_d » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 am

I have this pack at home, which you can easily find anywhere locally. I added the flat thin copper heat sink on the Zero CPU.
https://www.amazon.com/Lanpu-Raspberry- ... B079K43ZTZ
You have enough room to stick one there. It definitely helps a bit with heat dissipation especially if you want to keep the Pi overclocked a bit.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 am

That’s very strange, I’d say something is up with your pi. It does get warm but even with the overclock, it shouldn’t be anywhere near hot enough to deform the PLA.
ImageImageImageImage

ABH

Post by ABH » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:27 pm

happened to me before something similar, was a software issue try to reflash the img...

eggbowl

Post by eggbowl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 am
try running off of the battery
so another problem, i can't get it to run off battery? i charged the battery up all the way until the light turned off, but when i push the power button it won't turn on. i checked the wiring harness and there's continuity between the battery board and the main one. could this be result of the bad mosfet chip?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm

You're 5V point is not properly connected, I forgot to add a test point for it so use this image as a reference to where you can test continuity for the 5V rail.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

eggbowl

Post by eggbowl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 pm

i tested those two and it got continuity. what should i try next

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:25 am

Make sure the voltage of the battery is above 3.5v using the multimeter. Are you getting nothing at all or does it come on briefly?

eggbowl

Post by eggbowl » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 pm

the battery has 4.16 v dc and it's not powering on at all