MintyPi V3 Won't Shutdown

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
PiTruck

Re: MintyPi V3 Won't Shutdown

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am

So I dug into the config file and this is what it has for the poweroff and pin 14 setting:

gpio-poweroff,gpiopin=14,active_low="y"

That is also the last line of the config.txt file.

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Here's a list of things I have done this morning so far:

-Checked the config.txt file
-Reflashed the SD card using Etcher and Win32DiskImager
-Rechecked all pinouts with test pads and neighboring pins
-Rechecked ground with all pinouts and test pads (the only connections to ground were the ones that are supposed to be ground, and those have good continuity)

I'm pretty puzzled. Why would it shut down and restart with both the hall effect sensor and the menu shutdown command but shut down and stay turned off when the power button is held to turn it off? It even restarts when the lid stays closed. I would think it might be something in the power button if it happened all the time, but the fact that it only happens with the hall effect sensor and the menu option puzzles me. I tried redownloading a fresh image to see if that changed anything even. If anyone else has this problem or finds a solution let me know. I'm gonna leave it for now and think about it some more later.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Maybe a bad hall sensor? I can send you another one or wait a little bit till Wermy releases the new mintyPi image and give that a try.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Same problem here. Helder, he didn't have the stupid idiot screw ups like I did. Is a fried Tx circuit still the forerunner?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:10 am

No if the TX was the issue it wouldn't even turn on. You likely killed something on the board as we talked about since you had the power backwards .

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 am

So there are components on the controller PCB that still play a part in the shutdown process? When I was screwing everything up, I never had the power board connected.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:18 am

Well it wasn't the controller pcb that likely had the issue it's the pi, something happened where the TX doesn't go low when the pi is shutdown so could be the TX or could be something else in the pi all together who knows as I don't.

Just put a multimeter in DC voltage mode to see if the TX gpio (GPIO14) has voltage around 3.2v or is it 0v, if it's not 0v then it's not the mosfet circuit but the Pi somehow holding the pin high.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 am

Will check that later. Pi is only five bucks. Not a bad idea to change it out.

PiTruck

Post by PiTruck » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

Would a bad hall effect sensor cause it to shut down and restart even when selecting the shutdown option from the main menu in retropie? I don't know how the image is written to use the hardware, so I'm not sure where to go to check beyond what I have put together at this point. It still plays games, so right now it's an inconvenient annoyance is all. I was wondering if anybody else had the same issue to see if it may have been the image I downloaded or something in the hardware.

For right now I will just wait for a new image and see if that fixes it. When I close the lid it will shutdown and then restart even with the lid remaining closed, and it will shutdown and restart when I select the shutdown option from the retropie menu. I will also check the voltage on GPIO 14 and GPIO 22 to see what happens voltage-wise when it is running. If it is a problem with the pi I have another one I can replace it with at least. What should I expect to see on GPIO 22?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 pm

the GPIO 22 should be high around 3v then go low once the magnet goes close to it.