troubles with minty pi.

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Luka

troubles with minty pi.

Post by Luka » Sat May 04, 2019 9:55 am

so i got everything running when im testing prior to putting it in the case. so it will run off the power from the pi zero itself and boot up just fine. but when i go and put it in the case and take it off that power and have it run off the battery (which is fully charged) it will turn the screen on turn white like it would with the usb power hooked up but then the screen will turn off... any ideas??? that the onlyl thing im stuck on at this point :(

Joeblowv1

Re: troubles with minty pi.

Post by Joeblowv1 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:46 am

I'm having the same issue. It will boot, then almost like "controlled shut down" as if I was holding the power switch, and the screen (and the lights on the pi) will shutdown.

Its driving me nuts over here!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Fixed powerboard? meaning from the first orders? or is this from the recent kits? If it's the old boards and you did not remove R2 on the powerboard then you might have inadvertently killed the TX GPIO which is what keep the pi alive and booting off the battery.

Check voltage on the TX GPIO test pad it should go up to about 3.2v if it isn't then that Pi is damaged and can not be used for the mintyPi and will likely need to be replaced with a new one.

If this is the case and lack the skills DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE PI YOURSELF. Send it to LilTrblMaker and he can swap out the Pi for you for a fee without damaging the mintyPi controller PCB.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Joeblowv1

Post by Joeblowv1 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:12 am

I don't know about Luka's situation, but as I'm having the same problem, I'll post up whats going on on my end.

I have a new power board, (green/red leds) I had the thing working the other morning, but something got snafu'd when I took it apart to reflow the select button gpio. It will run fine off of usb power, but the battery is a no go at the moment, it exhibits the behavior as outlined above. I've removed the r2 resistor from my screen, I've also ensured the battery was charged

I just went over and my voltage did spike up to 3.2 on my pi. The only thing that I can think of at moment is that one of the wires on the small harness is sorta loose/can be wiggled a bit at one end where it goes into the "clip" .

Could this be caused by a flaky wiring harness?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

doubt it's the harness but might be the connector if you forced it in there the wrong way at one time. So the TX GPIO does go up to 3.2v? if so that's good news and might be something else as you mention. Check the connector pins are not bent like the one a person had shown below (he did this of course)

it can be repaired but won;t look pretty if it is the case:

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Joeblowv1

Post by Joeblowv1 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Update- 110% bent pins on the wiring connector. It wasn't pretty, and I snipped away as little plastic as possible, but the pin was deceptively bent far enough into another pin that my initial checks didn't catch it.

Note to luka or any others, those pins are damn tiny and light. Be very gentle in prying them back into place

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun May 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah, I didn't see that last pin (top next to the solder ball) until after I took those pictures (I repaired that unit). I had to cut the rest of the top of that plastic off but the harness still stayed pretty secured. I would not recommend pulling it out and putting it back in too many times though.