Performance issues

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
nilus2k

Performance issues

Post by nilus2k » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 am

What is the expected performance of a Minty Pi. I’m trying to run Sonic and it runs noticeable slow. Wondering if something isn’t right with my build or if there are some tweaks I can do with the software.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Performance issues

Post by Helder » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Try turning off wifi, it will improve performance greatly.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Zach1812

Post by Zach1812 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm

I too am having some issues with the performance. After building my MintyPi I wanted to do a side by side comparison to the Mint Pi(v3) that I created back in May with both running Super Metroid on the SNES. They're both running SNES2002.

With my MintyPi I'm running the latest image (7/27) with the updates only with UpdateMintyPi. I've disabled Wifi and Bluetooth and have upped the processor speed to that of my Mint Pi.

Code: Select all

arm_freq=900, core_freq=300, sdram_freq=450, over_voltage=2
The processing is still really slow (unplayable) and the sound is quite scratchy (volume at 60%). I haven't updated the distro (sudo update/upgrade) because last time I did it, it made the MintyPi stop working.

What can I do to tune up the MintyPi to have it run smoother?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 pm

Try another SD card, it might be the card or the Pi. Try using the card from the other mintyPi.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

kite

Post by kite » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 am

arm_freq=900 is actually an underclock, seeing as by default is 1000..
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Zach1812

Post by Zach1812 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Have tried another SDcard, still didn't fix anything. The other Mint Pi you see in the video is one I created without using MintyPi software. The screen refresh on that pi is using software from Juj. The SDcard I'm using is a Samsung EVO Plus 32GB (My other Mint Pi is using the same SD card)

As for overclocking, I've tested these results.

arm_freq=1200, core_freq=300, sdram_freq=450, over_voltage=2 
This causes the pi to not boot. It continues an endless cycle of rebooting. Pulling the power stops the cycling.

arm_freq=1100, core_freq=400, sdram_freq=450, over_voltage=2 
This causes the pi to boot and run. It runs almost perfectly for about 5 minutes and then hangs. Shutting it down (press power for 5 seconds) stops the hang.

arm_freq=1000, core_freq=450, sdram_freq=450, over_voltage=2 
This causes the pi to run video nicely (not perfectly, esp with lots of on screen movement). The sound however takes a huge hit and goes back to it's scratchy annoying state.

One other thing I noticed with all these reboots, startups, and things is that the Hall effect sensor reboots the pi unless it has a usb-C power. In essence I can hold down the power button and force a power cut or have the pi plugged in and then use the magnet to shut it down. (I am powering the pi off the battery and NOT plugging into the pi directly)

Xythatoneguyyx

Post by Xythatoneguyyx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:13 am

Have you found a fix for your performance issues?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am

This was a long ago post and likely the issue was solved plus I have a new v3 image in the works that is updated being released soon.