Shoulder Buttons Fell Out...

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
The Cheese Biscuit

Shoulder Buttons Fell Out...

Post by The Cheese Biscuit » Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 pm

My MintyPi was working great, but today I put it in my pocket, and when I took it out one of the shoulder buttons got pulled out and It got lost. Later I put it in a zipper-pocket on a backpack and after pulling it out the other one was gone. I was able to recover one, but I can;t find the other one.

This isn't a major issue for me, as I play mostly NES games, but still somewhat annoying.

What would have caused this? The holes I drilled are the right size per the build guide, and the tin isn't bent. If I put new ones back in the tin, what could I do to prevent this from happening again?
"I'm not actually a biscuit."

LilTrublMakr

Re: Shoulder Buttons Fell Out...

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm

They get caught on things in your pocket and it rips them out. I have had it happen to me many a times so far. Only way to really prevent it is to put them in a case... I use Wermy's TPU sleeve.

Tophool

Post by Tophool » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 pm

I've had the same issue...I'm wondering if you were to connect the two buttons into a single silicone button strip, it would hold them in better.

Same with the start/select buttons. They keep sticking, and when I went to try and tease them up again, they get pulled out of the socket. It's a pain in the butt to disassemble the entire thing just to put a couple of buttons back in (or 4 in this case).

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:22 am

Might try something different in the next batch to try and remedy these things.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm

I had this exact issue. I ultimately lost one of my buttons. I ordered a new set from wermy but figure it would happen again.

My fix: I have a dozen old tv remote controls around the house. I found one that had a few button the right size and color and cut down the membrane to fit and give them more staying power in the tin.

Also this dramatically improved the feel! They are not mushy anymore.

kazriko

Post by kazriko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:44 pm

I have to be careful when I put it into the sleeve because otherwise the buttons will catch in the sleeve and pull out. I might try the remote control fix sometime here.

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Here is a picture of my remote buttons with the last remaining kit button I could find.

The pads on the inside are left large to keep them from pulling out again. You can see how large I left the membrane from what missing in the remote and how small the standard button is.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 4703 times

kazriko

Post by kazriko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 pm

I looked a bit more at mine and I think they're falling out because I didn't solder the button board at a far enough backward angle. I might try digging out the hot glue the next time I feel like messing with it, and see if I can resolder and reorient the entire button board closer to the back of the tin.

rullinoiz

Post by rullinoiz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm

the silicon buttons should be held by a strip, thats why i almost didnt put the buttons in

Mouseater

Post by Mouseater » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I put a little bit of E6000 around the edges of the buttons and the tin, so far I have not had any issues with them falling out.