MintyPi 3- Powers from Pi USB but not Power Board

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: MintyPi 3- Powers from Pi USB but not Power Board

Post by Helder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 am

Since you jumped in here you need to fill us in better. Do you have continuity from the 5V gpio to the 5v test pad or the D1? Not the FB3 since that is just a left over on that image from another fix for someone.

You say the connector cable but have you looked into the connector cable connector for bent pins? This happens quite often when people plug it upside down and try to force it in.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

santoryu3SS

Post by santoryu3SS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm

So I do have continuity from both the 5v gpio/test pad, and I made sure not to force the cable in. I then checked for bent pins but all of them are perfectly fine.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 pm

santoryu3SS wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm
So I do have continuity from both the 5v gpio/test pad, and I made sure not to force the cable in. I then checked for bent pins but all of them are perfectly fine.
Ok the other thing is the GND is there good continuity? also does the whole thing work if you plug in a micro usb to the Pi? if not then there is a definite issue with soldering.

Show me some pictures of the soldering of the pi to pcb and also from the top down to see if there are gaps between the pi and pcb.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

M_Splosive

Re: No power to Minty Pi V3 via battery. PiZero USB powers up just fine

Post by M_Splosive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm having the same problem. I hope this gets figured out

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: No power to Minty Pi V3 via battery. PiZero USB powers up just fine

Post by Helder » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 am

M_Splosive wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 pm
I'm having the same problem. I hope this gets figured out
Did you do the continuity tests I mentioned above? 99% of the time it's your soldering, either a weak GND or more often than not it's the 5v GPIO is not properly soldered.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 am

I have the same/similar problem.

I can boot just fine with USB power. The battery charges fine with the charge led changing from red to green. When I try to boot from battery the screen turns white, the disk (SD) access light flashes green, then after a second or two everything shuts down. It’s as if the pi decides “nope. Voltage too low, shutting down”. But the battery should be fine (hardly used but 6 months old, and I t charges to a green light state).

I read continuity on the GPIO power measurement.

What should I try next? A new battery? It hasn’t been used, other than trying to boot a few dozen times.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

I may have to do some more checking.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Kevin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 am
I have the same/similar problem.

I can boot just fine with USB power. The battery charges fine with the charge led changing from red to green. When I try to boot from battery the screen turns white, the disk (SD) access light flashes green, then after a second or two everything shuts down. It’s as if the pi decides “nope. Voltage too low, shutting down”. But the battery should be fine (hardly used but 6 months old, and I t charges to a green light state).

I read continuity on the GPIO power measurement.

What should I try next? A new battery? It hasn’t been used, other than trying to boot a few dozen times.
Check the battery voltage to be sure it actually has a charge and also when you power it on through USB power test the voltage at the TX test pad. If the voltage is 0 there and not around 3.2v then you have a pi with a dead TX pin which can sometimes happen from ESD discharge or anything really as it's a sensitive pin. This pin is crucial to have voltage or the mintyPi will shut off after a few seconds.

EC2017

Post by EC2017 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:44 am

What do I set my multimeter to to test the TX pin and where do I place the probes on my multimeter?

michaelE2

Post by michaelE2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:30 pm

I am having same issues. i have continuity on D1, FB3 and the GPIO pins but there seem to be an issue with the 5v. I aam unable to get 5v test to the GPIO. When i use the multimeter to test for 5v. it shows zero. I am short of ideas on how to proceed. I have been on this for over 2 weeks now. Any pointers will be highly appreciated