MintyPi will longer turn on

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Wo_ic3m4n

MintyPi will longer turn on

Post by Wo_ic3m4n » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 am

So I just recently got all my parts, and started my build. Soldering went great, and triple-checked all GPIO pins resulting in continuity everywhere I was supposed to, and nothing where I wasn't supposed to. However, it would NOT boot up; the screen just flickered randomly. I disconnected the USB-C power board, and powered directly to the Pi Zero with micro USB, and it booted! Upon closer inspection, I noticed I didn't seat the black cable between Helder's PCB and the USB-C board. However, on my second boot with micro USB direct to the Zero, it wouldn't power up. Now when I try to power up with the USB-C board attached (cable fully seated this time :x ), the system will not power up. When i plug in the cable, i get a green LED. When I press the power button the light changes to red, but the screen doesn't come on at all, after a second or two, the LED changes back to green.

Is there a chance I shorted out the Zero by powering it directly with the micro USB? And if so, is there a fix? If not, what could be wrong?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: MintyPi will longer turn on

Post by Helder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 pm

So I take it you have no battery in the unit since you're powering the thing through the usb-c instead of through the battery. If you have no battery the usb-c is not passing it's full power and amps to the pi but to the charging chip which does not provide enough power to the boost chip that powers the entire thing.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Wo_ic3m4n

Post by Wo_ic3m4n » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:14 am

Helder,

Understood, that was my problem the entire time. I was following Wermy's build guide, and it looked like he was powering it without the battery. I just tried that, and get nothing so the Pi is fried, somehow. Now to remove it, and replace it, thankfully I have another. Thanks!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 am

That's an extreme call of the pi being fried, how did you come to this conclusion? Removing the pi without experience or the right tools will likely damage the controller pcb.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Wo_ic3m4n

Post by Wo_ic3m4n » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:35 am

Because it used to boot while powered via micro USB straight to the Pi. Now it does nothing when powered that way. I know I'm taking a risk removing the Pi from the PCB, but that's what I think is the issue, I'm fairly certain of it.