Audible Pop When Launching game and other issues.

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Rakanel

Audible Pop When Launching game and other issues.

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:49 pm

I just finished my minty pi and when I try and launch a GBA game there is an audible pop. Sound can be seen here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rkouFb5

I can not get any game to launch with lr-gpsp for GBA. When i plug in headphones, sound cuts from the speaker, but doesnt go to the headphones. using iPhone headphones.

First build, sorry for so many questions!

Thanks!

Rakanel

Re: Audible Pop When Launching game and other issues.

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/fgfc5Pg

This one should have sound..

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Update, the pop happens when I click into many things. other emulator, settings, etc.

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 pm

Update 2. The pop is still there. Got gpsp to run, needed bios file. Headphones sometimes kick on and cometime not. Will reflow headphone jack.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 am

Sounds like you need to test for continuity with the sound. All 5 points need solid continuity:

It might be a loose joint that is sometimes working and sometimes not. Also make sure that you are putting the headphone jack all the way in. If you got a laser cut tin, it can be a little misaligned and hard to put in.

The audio pop is normal. It is the speaker getting power IIRC.

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:35 am

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 am
Sounds like you need to test for continuity with the sound. All 5 points need solid continuity:

It might be a loose joint that is sometimes working and sometimes not. Also make sure that you are putting the headphone jack all the way in. If you got a laser cut tin, it can be a little misaligned and hard to put in.

The audio pop is normal. It is the speaker getting power IIRC.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked continuity, it just has to be in at a certain distance. So the pop is normal, every time I open anything at all it will pop? It doesn't really bother me, just want to make sure nothing is wrong haha.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:52 am

The pop happens every time there is a first sound like in the menu or when the game first loads. It's a side effect of the i2s audio but there might be a fix but I will have to look at it once I get back home since I'm traveling this week.

The headphone not working could be the soldering on the headphone socket and the headphones you're using, nice simple headphones should work.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Rakanel

Post by Rakanel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:52 am
The pop happens every time there is a first sound like in the menu or when the game first loads. It's a side effect of the i2s audio but there might be a fix but I will have to look at it once I get back home since I'm traveling this week.

The headphone not working could be the soldering on the headphone socket and the headphones you're using, nice simple headphones should work.
Awesome, I will just reflow the headphone jack when I get home from work and see if it fixes it.

Caver01

Post by Caver01 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:35 am

I get the pop too. I figured it was as Helder suggested—a side effect of invoking he sound chip. However, I don’t think it is good for nicer headphones, even if I am not concerned about the inexpensive speaker. I would welcome some experimentation to fix.