Button Not Working After Continuity Test

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Button Not Working After Continuity Test

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Don't worry about the ring, you need to scrape those thin traces I circled and solder a wire or a blob of solder from the trace to that solder in the GPIO center. It looks like you ripped that other trace I said is possible broken in the image, see the ripped trace I labeled it looks like it's part of the trace that is lifted and almost touching that GPIO you burned off on the right side.

That lifted trace is part of the Audio GPIO so if that is broken or touching something else it can make audio not work. The repair isn't too hard if you have some soldering skills but I do not know if you have the skills for this but worth a shot.

Use some flux and scrape the tiny trace running through the #2 to expose it's copper then use some thin wire or a solder blob from the GPIO center to the exposed trace, do the same to the other trace.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 pm

Would it be easier if I attached a wire to both ends, making sure the wire makes contact?
Just a suggestion.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 am

I'm just curious, but is that damage just from soldering over and over? It really looks like you tried to drill old solder out or something. I bought another guy's broken PCB and it had the same tell tale marks on a few of the GPIO holes.

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Hey gambino, so at first I was having issues with both ports in the 13th column (from the left), where the first couple of tries there was no continuity for those ports. So I tried reflowing, and due to my inexperience soldering, I stuck the solder too deep, for too long, too many times in those holes. That's the reason.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Gotcha. I was just curious is all.