Charging and Audio Issue

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
tommyalkhoury

Charging and Audio Issue

Post by tommyalkhoury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi there, so I recently finished my MintyPi, and I am having both charging and audio issues. For some reason my MintyPi doesn't charge. It works fine with USB power, but does seem to be charging at all when I use my 5V 1.5A charger. I was having some issues with installing my speaker, so I ended up skipping it and only using my headphone jack. It is not at all installed on the board, and as a result whenever I plug in headphones it sounds much too loud. I'm thinking the extra current is affecting the audio output. What can I do as a solution for the sound, and what can I do to solve the charging issue.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Charging and Audio Issue

Post by Helder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Does the LEDs light up when you plug in the usb-c charging cable? have you checked the battery voltage? The amp powers the speaker and headphones at once so you will have to turn the volume down using the mode button.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Helder, I figured out the just of my charging issue: i'm using a nintendo switch charger which you mentioned does not work in another post. Instead, which charger should I use? As for the audio, the speaker is not connected to the mintypi at all. Even though the volume is at minimum, the audio is still very loud and distorted.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:11 pm

Just turn the volume down as I said, headphones will always be louder than the tiny speaker. For charging just use any generic 5v 1a wall charger and use a USB-A to USB-C cable. It's a good thing you listened to my advice of not using the Switch charger :P also do not use any dedicated device charger like a Pixel Phone or Newest Samsung phone chargers, just a simple one from the Iphone 7 , Samsung Galaxy 7 era phones or older.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi helder, my volume is at the minimum, and it is still making extremely loud noises, not sure if this is because my speaker is not connected to the mintypi...

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am

Dude I just told you numerous times that the amp is making the sound louder on headphones and it always will so just turn the volume down. You are not using a speaker so why are you still bringing it up to max volume when I have said multiple times to lower it, do you need me to give you some technical answer as to why it is so loud so that you just lower the volume?

Sorry to sound like and ass but I don't know what you expect me to say after I told you how to solve it, lower the volume.

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Helder, I understand your frustration when I repeat similar statements despite you mentioning to turn the volume down numerous times. I am just uncertain you understand my point. What do you want me to do so that I can get my headphone audio to work despite my speaker not being soldered onto the board, when my volume is already turned down to the minimum and the noise is still very loud and distorted from my headphones. I can just turn the sound to 0, however I am looking for a way to get my headphone audio working.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:43 am

See now that makes more sense, it's picking up noise even at lower volumes. You should have said this , this way and it's easy to understand the problem. So no speaker and have you tried other headphones? also when the pi is booting does it still do the same noise?

tommyalkhoury

Post by tommyalkhoury » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:37 pm

I have tried 2 headphones and they both output a loud, distorted noise. When I am booting, it does not seem to make any noise. It is only when I am running games that the audio is there; it sounds clear at 100% volume (I can hear the original audio of the game), however it is still emitting loud electrical sounds at 100%. At 10%, it is more difficult to hear the true audio, however the loud electrical sounds are still evidently present. I realized that when I shut off the Pi while I'm in the Retropie menu, I can hear the feedback sound the pi makes when the system is shut off, and it sounds fine, not distorted.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 am

Ok so I'm assuming you are powering the pi in all of these instances with the provided powerboard and a battery? or are you powering from the Pi micro usb? Audio is powered from 5v whether it's from the boost circuit or 5v usb power, so we can try to eliminate one or the other with the answer to this.