MintyPi v3 Won't Turn on Through Battery

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Bacon Bandit

MintyPi v3 Won't Turn on Through Battery

Post by Bacon Bandit » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 pm

First thing I'd like to say, yes I have continuity.

It's been a journey to say the least with this, but I'll skip over most of it. I'm having trouble powering my pi through the battery. It's been working fine these past few days, but I had a problem where the system would constantly restart. I resoldered some of the connections and it started working fine. The pi and screen were out of the tin at the time so I started to put them back in. To make sure it didn't randomly restart again, I kept the power on while doing this (Not my smartest moment). As I was putting the screen in the right place, the pi turned off and would not turn back on.

Prior to placing it back in the tin, the pi was working perfectly. Using the micro hdmi cable would turn it on but not the battery. I tested for continuity for ground and 5v and checked voltage but nothing showed up abnormal (I wouldn't really trust my voltage checking skills). The battery is now fully charged but it still doesn't turn on. Also, the charging LED turned from red to green as it should. The Pi light does not turn on and I get no signal.
A picture of my soldering is attached

Also this is one of my first electronic projects and despite my numerous failures, it was a lot of fun. Thank you for creating so many cool projects! :D
Attachments
AAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 5424 times

gambino37

Re: MintyPi v3 Won't Turn on Through Battery

Post by gambino37 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Some of your GPIOs look light on solder. I would redo them all, one by one like Wermy did in his build video. Make sure when you are done that the solder has a slight dome to it.

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm

I have very limited access to soldering supplies so I'll likely try this Monday and get back to you guys. Thank you for the advice, I hope it works...

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 pm

So I resoldered everything and checked continuity between test pads and each other, and everything seems fine. However, I may have found the problem. One of the pins for the power cable on the PCB is bent. It's squished against the wall of the port and I can
t seem to get it to straighten by using tweezers. I was thinking about either just deforming the plastic around it (REALLY sketchy) or desoldering it off and attaching the one from the extra charging PCB I received, which will be difficult due to my inexperience. Do you have any advice?

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:23 pm

Resoldering picture btw
Attachments
OOF.jpg
OOF.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 5293 times

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 pm

If you dont have a desoldering station then I dont suggest trying to swap it. Try your best to straighten out that pin. That is 100% your problem.

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I fixed the pin and made sure I have continuity between all the different pins when the cable is connected and everything works there. However, it still doesn't turn on. I assume I bent the pin when fixing it today and it was never really the problem because I don't remember the cable not fitting before. Do you have any other suggestions because I'm at a loss

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Charge the battery?

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:16 pm

Battery is almost fully charged but I've already made sure it has voltage

Bacon Bandit

Post by Bacon Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:18 pm

I lifted one of the speaker pads because I'm bad at soldering. Would that do anything?