[For Sale] PRS-Tech SNES-Zero. Complete retro gaming in a SNES Controller

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
drafterITA

Re: [For Sale] PRS-Tech SNES-Zero. Complete retro gaming in a SNES Controller

Post by drafterITA » Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 pm

diko_d wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm
Got mine on Tue.
I actually bought a cheap nameless SNES compatible controller. The inside of it is obviously different from the build images but it was very easy to accommodate all of it inside. Had to desolder and resolder new wires for the L and R buttons. They were very different and short for the board, but that was not too difficult.
Also, while I was at it, I added a small tactile switch at the back of the controller (hot glued it), soldered to pins 5 and 6 on the pi, and using 8bitjunkie's install (http://pie.8bitjunkie.net/retropie-shut ... e-easy-way) to add a soft shutdown and on switch. Could be a nice addition to the next version of the board to have easy soldering pads on the board for these two pins.
IMG_6145.JPG
Thank you for this imput!
I just finished mine, I took some pictures and I'll post them tomorrow, and this modification looks really neat: having the button on the back to shut down the PI safely.. I noticed that even when turning off the system from the retropie menu the rpi goes to the console, so until you remove the usb power it doesn't really turn off.
If you have some time could you show the inside on how you wired the tact switch and the glue work? thank you very much :)
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

diko_d

Post by diko_d » Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 am

drafterITA wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 pm
If you have some time could you show the inside on how you wired the tact switch and the glue work? thank you very much :)
Will do. I am on a business trip abroad this week so will take care of this after I return beginning of next week.

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

My board arrived today! Thank you very much!

Bahobthewarrior

Post by Bahobthewarrior » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

Sent a Private Message

diko_d

Post by diko_d » Thu May 25, 2017 1:21 pm

drafterITA wrote:
Here you go! :D
IMG_8951.JPG
IMG_8951.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 9274 times
IMG_7850.JPG
IMG_7850.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 9274 times
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9274 times
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 9274 times

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 pm

diko_d wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:21 pm
drafterITA wrote:
Here you go! :D
IMG_8951.JPG
IMG_7850.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
Thank you very much!! It looks neat.. especially the kapton tape on the contacts, I think I'll do the same :D
I actually came up with another solution, check it out here

Ciao!
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

francoshin

Post by francoshin » Thu May 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi my purchase went through 5/12/17 would you happen to have an ETA on the order? Thanks.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Has anybody found a alternative for the hdmi cable recommended for the build? This is the last piece I need but the 10ft hdmi cable has been out of stock since I purchased my board in the beginning of April. Curious what guys are using.

Roachman5000

Post by Roachman5000 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:03 am

Anyone able to add the soft shutdown/startup option as listed in http://pie.8bitjunkie.net/retropie-shut ... e-easy-way, but with the added variable of a timer so that a button would have to be held down for a set period of time before activating the shutdown/startup?

There's a set of code in the comments on that page that is supposed to do that, but I cannot get it to work.

I can get the actual code from the tutorial to work but not the modified code.

Thanks in advance!

jimhook

Post by jimhook » Mon May 29, 2017 10:07 am

I have mine completed not but it was not without its challenges. I thought about posting my pics but that would have been redundant as I added nothing special. What I did find in this process though might help others. First with the parts I chose made things a little different from the guide.

The Tomee Controller Was a bit on the flimsy side and cheaply made. Once you cut the plastic out of the way as the guide stated you were left with the directional pad, x and y buttons falling back into the controller during play. Diko_d had performed something similar to my first fix (notice his stack of sticky rubber on the inside of his controller) to try to correct the problem as you can see in his second picture of his post but it was not as solid as I had hoped. I managed to fix it in the end by cutting a large piece of hard foam to hold the whole board forward while trimming the posts to allow the board to sit closer to the front of the controller.

I had purchased the HDMI cable before the mass shortage most are facing and have to say I was not impressed. While it was sized almost perfectly (Like it was designed to be used for that purpose) it fell apart! Mine came apart exposing the wires below :x But its nothing a little heat shrink cant cover up but I see no problem getting another cord with a similar male end design but thicker cord to work. I wouldn't fret too much about it and just start exploring your options.

The board is powered through the HDMI port on the pi but I had a hard time getting everything to work right. I could not get the board to support my usb hub as it just didn't have enough power to make a keyboard and usb stick function. All my work to set it up had to be done on a Pi that was a spare as I could not get anything to work correctly powering it through the HDMI. I would suggest the Pi Zero W as this would have made things much easier. Had to resort to this USB 2.0 OTG Fast Ethernet Adapter and a 4A power supply modified to power the pi directly in the end.

I used this guide for Retrogame from step 11 on the how to guide. Could not get any buttons to function in the emulators (Worked fine in Emulation Station) until I followed their guide.

Still on my to do after all this is adding the Micro USB port out of the bottom. Which looks like it might not extend through the case? Maybe something like this to find one that does? Setup Hotkeys for saving and loading like on Kite's Super AIO which are kinda nice. And get more ROMS! :D

@prerunnerseth

Thanks for this amazing product and hard work to get us started

Also for anyone looking to REALLY make this a project I found this!