[Pre-Order] Sign-ups for the CeMu Partner (Compute Module add-on)

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
inches

Re: [Pre-Order] Sign-ups for the CeMu Partner (Compute Module add-on)

Post by inches » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 pm

silentjames wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 am
sybr wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm
The pictures of the red PCB above look like it won't fit on top of the cartridge bay anymore, but has to be put into the cartridge bay. Am I wrong in this?
As I understand from pictures, this board uses all space from cartridge area - so you'll need to cut your cartridge and keep only front and top areas. Check other builds which use RPi3 - almost all of them are in the same way.

@inches, I have one question.
As I already said, your board uses all space from cartridge area, and some space below. Does this mean that I can't use some boards for L&R buttons which usually locate right above battery bay?
Yes, you'll have to cut a cart. Or 3D print one. Here's an image of a (failed) 3d printed cart that can be used to cover it up:
IMG_20170815_135948.jpg
IMG_20170815_135948.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 9999 times
And unfortunately, you'll need to rig up something else for rear buttons. I don't think one of the nice rear brackets will work on this. There may be space for a custom rigged one.
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024

Sibbie

Post by Sibbie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am

It would be awesome to have the rear buttons incorporated into the CeMu board.

JakeB5

Post by JakeB5 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:13 am

Any updates or changes?

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 am

What is the status of this CeMu partner?

terrapinlogo

Post by terrapinlogo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Any news? My device is looking rather Frankenstein like waiting for a CeMu.

JakeB5

Post by JakeB5 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Well kite has gotten his Compute Module board done. (Preorders just opened)

I'll still keep an eye on this one, but I can't say I'd still get one.

inches

Post by inches » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 am

Hi guys,

I hadn't been getting notifications about your responses here. I apologise for not responding sooner.

I had gotten very busy with a summer job and waiting on parts. My enthusiasm died down, and for a while nobody was asking about the project. The job was a lot of stress and I ended up in the ER. When I finished out the summer and tried to solder again, my visual focus had declined and my hands were not nearly as steady as they had been.

I believed that the number of interested pre-orders wasn't going to be reflective of the number of sales I'd actually get. Since there's absolutely no way to hand solder the SODIMM slots past one or two, they need to be manufactured and assembled overseas, which requires a large order. I've been having a lot of difficulty iterating on the boards because of how hard it to to diagnose issues with the soldering of the SODIMM slot versus the board itself.

The number of alleged purchases was already fairly low. I wouldn't be making much money from the efforts I had put into it, what was still necessary, and the risk that I'd be taking on. It was a learning project from the get go, not necessarily a concerted business effort, and I felt like I'd learned a lot of circuit design from what I'd done so far.

It was a slow death of the project for me, which is why there was never a point where I came out and said it was officially over. I never really felt it was over, just paused indefinitely. But with the excitement over the GBA CM build, and Kite's SAIO boards with the CM, I felt like my product was filling an ever decreasing space in the market.

These all seem like excuses to me now that I reread them though. I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

How many of you are still looking for a CEMU, or have boards waiting for one already?

Anybody have suggestions about how to get around the fact that I cannot accurately solder the prototypes myself anymore?

I still have quite a lot of parts, boards, and other necessary equipment that seems to be going to waste. The first board worked, but I thought it was too big to fit well inside and that people wouldn't like that. After I did the redesign I couldn't get the new boards soldered well enough to test them.
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm

You shouldn't feel bad, unfortunately unless you can invest lots of time and money to get it going its always going to be a struggle, real life always gets in the way and if things start to effect your health is not worth the effort!
You should be happy with what you have done, you have tried to progress the gbz even further and in a way have, Helder progressed it with his boards that slowly evolved to the point where there is clone wars, then kite came along and did his super board and got have looked to take it on further.
If I was you I would build whatever boards you can from the parts you have, if you can sell them at a profit good, if not maybe worth looking at building full gameboy zeros and be a bit more exclusive along the lines of the 1up builds this way you can sell for more, get good money back +.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

neolith

Post by neolith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:06 am

inches wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 am
[...]
The job was a lot of stress and I ended up in the ER. When I finished out the summer and tried to solder again, my visual focus had declined and my hands were not nearly as steady as they had been.
[...]
Oh crap, I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will get better for you.

Regarding this thread – don't beat yourself up about the lack of updates, real life always comes first, especially if your health is involved. I wish I had any good advice for your project, but everything you did is way out of my league.
Thank you for the detailed update on the situation. I wish you the best for your health!
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 am

inches wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 am
Hi guys,

I hadn't been getting notifications about your responses here. I apologise for not responding sooner.

I had gotten very busy with a summer job and waiting on parts. My enthusiasm died down, and for a while nobody was asking about the project. The job was a lot of stress and I ended up in the ER. When I finished out the summer and tried to solder again, my visual focus had declined and my hands were not nearly as steady as they had been.

I believed that the number of interested pre-orders wasn't going to be reflective of the number of sales I'd actually get. Since there's absolutely no way to hand solder the SODIMM slots past one or two, they need to be manufactured and assembled overseas, which requires a large order. I've been having a lot of difficulty iterating on the boards because of how hard it to to diagnose issues with the soldering of the SODIMM slot versus the board itself.

The number of alleged purchases was already fairly low. I wouldn't be making much money from the efforts I had put into it, what was still necessary, and the risk that I'd be taking on. It was a learning project from the get go, not necessarily a concerted business effort, and I felt like I'd learned a lot of circuit design from what I'd done so far.

It was a slow death of the project for me, which is why there was never a point where I came out and said it was officially over. I never really felt it was over, just paused indefinitely. But with the excitement over the GBA CM build, and Kite's SAIO boards with the CM, I felt like my product was filling an ever decreasing space in the market.

These all seem like excuses to me now that I reread them though. I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

How many of you are still looking for a CEMU, or have boards waiting for one already?

Anybody have suggestions about how to get around the fact that I cannot accurately solder the prototypes myself anymore?

I still have quite a lot of parts, boards, and other necessary equipment that seems to be going to waste. The first board worked, but I thought it was too big to fit well inside and that people wouldn't like that. After I did the redesign I couldn't get the new boards soldered well enough to test them.
Hey! Glad to see your back. We've missed you the last few months! Sorry to hear about your health problems. Nothing here is worth any sort of health problem so please don't feel pressured or let it stress you out! This is supposed to be all for fun, not work. That being said, I don't know much about the kind of soldering your talking about, but I believe you have a very good product that definitely has a market. Although Kite has his CM3 board now, many people are still making Gameboys without the AIO boards and would like to incorporate a PI3 or CM3. So I would love to see your board become a reality and believe others here would as well, but not at the risk of your health. Hopefully someone here can step up and help with the soldering issues your facing. If you ever have anything on your mind, don't hesitate to bring it up to the community here. Helping each other is all part of what the Sudomod family is about.