[PRE-ORDER] Kite's Circuit Sword (#5) - CLOSED

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
Gauffre

Re: [PRE-ORDER] Kite's Circuit Sword (#5) - OPEN

Post by Gauffre » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm

markolomew wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 am
Much of this is answered in the github page for 640 screen. If anyone uses this screen, I'm more interested to know if it really made that big of a difference compared to the work put in.
I would be interested in people's feedback on that screen too. I was planning on using the 640 screen, but the github page does not really sell it... From the pictures, the image seems to look better on the lower resolution screen, and Kite says "Lower overall brightness, Lower vibrancy, Games don't actually run higher than 320x240, only menus in retropie would be clearer" which makes me think that the 640 screen actually has a worse image than the 320 when playing games. Is it the case?

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Gauffre wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm

I would be interested in people's feedback on that screen too. I was planning on using the 640 screen, but the github page does not really sell it... From the pictures, the image seems to look better on the lower resolution screen, and Kite says "Lower overall brightness, Lower vibrancy, Games don't actually run higher than 320x240, only menus in retropie would be clearer" which makes me think that the 640 screen actually has a worse image than the 320 when playing games. Is it the case?
My stance on it is that the clarity and color reproduction on the standard DPI screen is stunning vs composite screens found in rear view monitor builds. The standard screen is really good quality and I think you'd be pleased. The 640 screen is not worth the hassle for very little benefit, IMHO.

Marascon

Post by Marascon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Got the board last pre-order, but i just need to have that volume back-board.

no need for HDMI and would love a little more retro feel :P

order placed again and people let me tell you, this is top quality stuff!

edwardthehuman

Post by edwardthehuman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm

What alternative cooling fan can I use with this?

craptastrophe

Post by craptastrophe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 pm

ThatOtherPerson1 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:53 am
Halifax wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 am
Sorry for the question that's probably been answered before, but I'm just getting in to this for the first time. The only things we'd need to buy separate from this to build a complete device would be a case, screen cover, buttons, battery, and probably kapton tape, right? Am I missing anything?
List of required/recommended tools/items can be found in Kite's guides:

https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... nics-Guide

https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... -Mod-Guide

Check the "Additional Parts Required" sections on those pages.
It seems like some of that doesn't apply to this version, I'll start to go through it here (in RED) for myself and others who come along after, but there may be some more things to note so please call them out:
https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sword/wiki/GB-Original-Case-Mod-Guide wrote: Additional Parts Required
Case/enclosure - eBay/Aliexpress
Conductive button pads - eBay/Aliexpress
Additional buttons for X and Y - eBay/Aliexpress
Shoulder buttons - eBay/Aliexpress
~3000mAh battery - eBay/Aliexpress/Dextech batt - I understand there are other batteries that will work, look in this thread
JST battery cable - eBay/Aliexpress (search for "JST PH 2-Pin") - BEWARE CHINA ONES ARE THE WRONG ORDER, TRIPLE CHECK!
USB C charging cable - eBay/Aliexpress
Micro SD card
Screen surround - retrofresh.uk(closed)/Kitsch-bent.com/deadpanrobot.co.uk
Tools (Soldering iron with pointed tip (Adjustable temp + quality solder (the no clean type, not the roisin stuff!)), drill, dremel, sharp knife, kapton tape!)
(recommended) Mini fan - This comes with the kit now
(optional) Screen bracket adapter - http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2553
Do we need a button for the "Mode" button? I apologize if I'm being obvious, I am pretty new here.

fablespirt

Post by fablespirt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:51 pm

craptastrophe wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Do we need a button for the "Mode" button? I apologize if I'm being obvious, I am pretty new here.
Only if you want to replace the existing button with a longer one.
P.S. I finally figured out how to properly use quotes.

TigerClaw32

Post by TigerClaw32 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 am

Hi,
I have three questions:
1. Do someone have a picture how to mount the psp100 joystick without the psp display bracket?

2. Can I solder the joystick directly on the circuit sword pins or do I have to use cables ?

3. the back side of the joystick is metallic and it contacts the CC1 button area on the circuit sword. do I have to isolate this ?
Last edited by TigerClaw32 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

kite

Post by kite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:50 am

TigerClaw32 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 am
Hi,
I have three questions:
1. Do someone have a picture how to mount the psp100 joystick without the psp display bracket?

2. Can I solder the joystick directly on the circuit sword pins or do I have to use cables ?

3. the back side of the joystick is metallic and it contacts the CC1 button area on the circuit sword. do I have to isolate this ?
2. The pads are lined up to do this but in practice it's nearly impossible to do nicely! So I would use the cable and cover everything you don't want to be touched in kapton tape
3. Yes, use Kapton tape

TigerClaw32

Post by TigerClaw32 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am

thanks. and how to connect the cables ? the wiki is not complete and I have a lot of cables without knowing what to do

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am

TigerClaw32 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am
thanks. and how to connect the cables ? the wiki is not complete and I have a lot of cables without knowing what to do
Hello, what cables are you looking to connect? Everything should be self explanatory when you're looking at the boards. If you're looking to connect a joystick it is covered in kites support thread in the support section of the forums.

Also, this question is off topic and not related to the sale of the CSO pre order. Please post further support related questions in the proper sub forum. Thank you!